|By PR Newswire||
|February 28, 2013 02:34 PM EST||
An apple a day may be out of reach for the more than 50 million Americans facing hunger
CHICAGO, Feb. 28, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- This March, Feeding America, the nation's leading domestic hunger-relief charity, is recognizing National Nutrition Month® in honor of the 1 in 6 Americans who lack access, at times, to enough food for an active, healthy life. National Nutrition Month® is an education campaign sponsored annually in March by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics; the campaign focuses on the importance of making informed food choices and developing sound eating and physical activity habits. This year is the 40th anniversary of National Nutrition Month®, and the theme is "Eat Right, Your Way, Every Day.
Feeding America is committed to helping food insecure people get the healthy food they need to eat right, their way, every day. Each year, Feeding America serves 37 million Americans struggling hunger, including nearly 14 million children and 3 million seniors. Together, the Feeding America nationwide network of food banks secures and distributes nearly 3.4 billion pounds of food and grocery products annually, including more than 800 million pounds of fresh produce.
"Feeding America and our network of food banks strive to provide those facing hunger not only with enough food to fill them up, but also the accessibility to healthful, nourishing foods," said Bob Aiken, President and CEO of Feeding America. "We endeavor to provide our clients with food emphasized in the 2010 USDA Dietary Guidelines, such as fruits and vegetables, protein, whole grains and low-fat dairy, as these types of food are often out of reach for many of the families we serve."
"The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics' vision of optimizing the nation's health through food and nutrition is strengthened each March as we celebrate National Nutrition Month. As registered dietitians and dietetic technicians, registered, we are able to translate sound science-based research into helpful information that people can understand and apply to their everyday lives," says registered dietitian and Academy President Ethan A. Bergman.
Feeding America food banks are working to ensure our clients have access to the information and skills they need to make smart food choices. More than 80 percent of Feeding America food banks provide nutrition education programs in the communities they serve. These programs range from classes on how to purchase healthy foods on a limited budget, to engaging communities in growing their own fresh food. Our food banks equip clients with the resources they need to secure and eat a healthy diet—not just today, but in the long run too.
Get involved with Feeding America for National Nutrition Month ® in the following ways:
- Week of March 18: Watch the Huffington Post Live panel about the Hunger and Obesity Paradox, featuring celebrity chef and author, Ellie Krieger, Michelle Berger Marshall, RD, Director of Nutrition at Feeding America, and Hilary Seligman, MD, MAS, Assistant Professor of Medicine at University of California San Francisco.
- March 21: Tune into Feeding America's second annual National Nutrition Month® Twitter Chat from 12:00-1:00pm CT. Guest panelists include Feeding America Entertainment Council member and television host Samantha Harris, the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, and others. Follow along using hash tag #BetterHealth.
- Follow the Feeding America blog for guest blog posts:
- March 5: Kevin Seggelke, President and CEO of Food Bank of the Rockies
- March 13: Helen Costello, MS, RD, LD, Recipe for Success Program Manager at New Hampshire Food Bank
- March 19: Eric Olsen, JD, Senior Vice President of Government Relations at Feeding America
- March 26: Hilary Seligman, MD, MAS, Assistant Professor of Medicine at University of California San Francisco
About Feeding America
Feeding America provides low-income individuals and families with the fuel to survive and even thrive. As the nation's leading domestic hunger-relief charity, our network members supply food to more than 37 million Americans each year, including 14 million children and 3 million seniors. Serving the entire United States, more than 200 member food banks support 61,000 agencies that address hunger in all of its forms. For more information on how you can fight hunger in your community and across the country, visit http://www.feedingamerica.org. Find us on Facebook at facebook.com/FeedingAmerica or follow our news on Twitter at twitter.com/FeedingAmerica.
SOURCE Feeding America
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- Will the Mac OS Now Be Offered by Dell?