|By PR Newswire||
|February 26, 2013 12:05 AM EST||
DALLAS, Feb. 26, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Wi-Fi has become a necessity for the connected consumer, driving more than 2.7 Billion Wi-Fi connections made to the AT&T* Wi-Fi network in 2012. As consumers rely on Wi-Fi connectivity in their daily routine, businesses are continuing to harness the benefits of AT&T across more than 32,000 AT&T Wi-Fi Hot Spot locations.
AT&T Wi-Fi Key Facts for 2012:
- More than double the connections made to the AT&T Wi-Fi Network in 2012 versus 2011.
- AT&T's Wi-Fi footprint grew 10 percent in 2012 with connections to venues growing by nearly 200 percent in the past year.
- 3X more mobile device traffic exchanged on the Wi-Fi network soaring over 5.2 billion MB in 2012.
- 40 percent more connections made in 4Q12 from mobile smartphone and tablet devices compared to 4Q11.
- 190 percent increase in mobile data uploads on the AT&T Wi-Fi network quarter-over-quarter.
"Wi-Fi works in tandem with our global network to keep people connected wherever they are. By providing this must-have connectivity at all types of locations, businesses can bring added value to the customer experience," said Josh Goodell, Associate Vice President, AT&T Wi-Fi Services. "With connectivity to our Wi-Fi Network skyrocketing in 2012 by more than 1 billion connections year-over-year, Wi-Fi is a clear factor in mobile use, driving purchase decisions to enriched hospitality, fan and travel experiences."
AT&T Wi-Fi Spotlight on Retail and Hospitality Locations:
Big box retailers and hotels are finding innovative solutions to enhance the Wi-Fi experience for employees and customers. In 2012, more than 7 billion minutes were spent connected at AT&T Wi-Fi retail locations. On average, each connection lasted 45 minutes. With prolonged connectivity and data usage, Wi-Fi connectivity is impacting retail venues' bottom line while satisfying a necessity – a reliable connection for customers and employees.
In hotels across the globe, AT&T added Wi-Fi to more than 95,000 guest rooms last year increasing connections by more than 225% in 2012. The AT&T Wi-Fi hospitality platform brings feature rich mass-scalable solutions to a diversified portfolio of properties dedicated to strengthening management and guest experiences for anytime online access.
AT&T operates the nation's largest Wi-Fi network** including more than 32,000 AT&T Wi-Fi Hot Spots at popular restaurants, hotels, bookstores and retailers, and provides access to more than 402,000 hotspots globally through roaming agreements.
*AT&T products and services are provided or offered by subsidiaries and affiliates of AT&T Inc. under the AT&T brand and not by AT&T Inc.
** Largest based on company branded and operated hotspots. Access includes AT&T Wi-Fi Basic. A Wi-Fi enabled device required. Other restrictions apply. See www.attwifi.com for details and locations.
AT&T Inc. (NYSE:T) is a premier communications holding company and one of the most honored companies in the world. Its subsidiaries and affiliates – AT&T operating companies – are the providers of AT&T services in the United States and internationally. With a powerful array of network resources that includes the nation's largest 4G network, AT&T is a leading provider of wireless, Wi-Fi, high speed Internet, voice and cloud-based services. A leader in mobile Internet, AT&T also offers the best wireless coverage worldwide of any U.S. carrier, offering the most wireless phones that work in the most countries. It also offers advanced TV services under the AT&T U-verse® and AT&T │DIRECTV brands. The company's suite of IP-based business communications services is one of the most advanced in the world.
Additional information about AT&T Inc. and the products and services provided by AT&T subsidiaries and affiliates is available at http://www.att.com/aboutus or follow our news on Twitter at @ATT, on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/att and YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/att.
© 2013 AT&T Intellectual Property. All rights reserved. 4G not available everywhere. AT&T, the AT&T logo and all other marks contained herein are trademarks of AT&T Intellectual Property and/or AT&T affiliated companies. All other marks contained herein are the property of their respective owners.
SOURCE AT&T Inc.
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher