|By PR Newswire||
|February 25, 2013 06:46 AM EST||
BARCELONA, Spain, Feb. 25, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Sensation technology is a new high performance multi touch and multi touchless technology introduced at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona that enables control of mobile device functions in both touch and in three dimensions using just finger and hand movements. It is thought to be up to 100 times more precise than current technologies, and can realize real 'hovering' functions in mobiles and a multitude of applications like gaming, pad TV, automotive, medical industries plus many others.
It also allows the developer community to invent a multitude of new applications that transform two-dimensional environments into complete 3D experiences, enabling a new way of interaction. Sensation technology frees the designer's creativity – it can be applied to planed, curved, or complex geometries and can also be combined with LED lighting allowing any variety of designs and features.
By introducing the z-dimension at the touch screen, it is possible to fundamentally change the way people interact with devices and change the way people do things. This extra dimension enables the measurement and sensing of multiple fingertips at up to 5cm away from the screen.
The benefits of this new Sensation technology mean that it is possible to enable proximity, depth and surface sensing on any surface of any device using multi touch functions, multi touchless functions, xyz fingertip sensing, multi hovering functions up to 5cm from the screen and 3D gesture control
It enables any device to be used as a notebook with any pen or with fingers, even if the user is wearing gloves. In addition, the ability to easily zoom in on the keys makes it possible to use a keyboard even without the need for glasses.
This technology is considered 100 times more precise than current technologies, and so can realize real hovering functions. The possibilities of what Sensation technology enables are limitless – some examples of what can be done include:
- Ability to zoom in on small icons from a distance, with the icons growing in size as your fingers get closer, even bursting them on touch, or activating a function or keyboard on touch
- Play with the controls or functions of a smartphone with your fingers outside or away from the screen
- On a smartphone, have icons that comes automatically positioned under fingers, manipulating a 3D a virtual object
- Make a multitude of simple gestures, such as: turning a page, activating the device with a hand approaching, turning a map, zooming in with two fingers, and so on.
A short video demo is available at the following link:
1) Sensation technology background and capability
After having developed a capacitive camera which today equips thousands of medical machines, Fogale Nanotech's researchers looked at how it might be possible to measure the data of fingers which are at more than 5 centimeters away from a screen, and visualize gestures at 8-10 centimeters. This would create a real technological breakthrough in the touch screen world for the mobile industry. Sensation technology was the result: it makes interaction between human and electronic apparatus more natural with more precise and evolved gestures; it also enables a true implementation of both multi touch and multi touchless technology.
Sensation is a unique capacitive technology protected by 30 patents, allowing measurement of the ultra-low absolute capacitance created between the sensor and the fingertips. Similar to the concept of pixels in a camera, Sensation uses a matrix of electrodes distributed over the panel. Each electrode measures an absolute distance and a specific algorithm reconstructs in real time the 3D shape of all objects (fingers, stylus, hands) in proximity of the panel.
2) Company background
The new Sensation technology is based on 30 years of research in capacitive measurement research. In 1983, three researchers decided to create a company to channel their research in capacitive measurement instruments to create new innovative, leading edge high performance products. Driven by a combination of inventiveness and scientific rigour, the company became the partner of choice for industry and research labs for finding solutions to previously insoluble challenges.
The company rapidly established a reputation as the global specialist in capacitive measurement technology. In the spirit of the original company, the company's 50 researchers and engineers shared the founders' innovative spirit and the technical expertise that has become so characteristic of the company. They are constantly learning, developing and producing the inventions that will meet the needs of tomorrow.
For more information
See the short video demo at the following link:
SOURCE Sensation technology
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher
- Will the Mac OS Now Be Offered by Dell?
- UK Targeted for Trojan Attacks