|By Marketwired .||
|February 20, 2013 06:30 PM EST||
WEST KELOWNA, BRITISH COLUMBIA -- (Marketwire) -- 02/20/13 -- Today, Dan Albas, Member of Parliament for Okanagan-Coquihalla, on behalf of the Honourable Lynne Yelich, Minister of State for Western Economic Diversification, announced support for the Jim Lind Arena under the Harper Government's Community Infrastructure Improvement Fund (CIIF).
"Our Government is committed to creating jobs, growth and long-term prosperity in our communities across Canada," said MP Albas. "By making these investments in local infrastructure, we are helping boost economic activity and maintain a high quality of life for Canadians."
The Harper Government's investment of $250,126 will enhance the services provided by the Jim Lind Arena and will create jobs. With the funding provided today, the District of West Kelowna will replace the floor of the Jim Lind Arena. The district will install new underfloor heating insulation, a cooling concrete floor, and also replace the boards around the ice.
"This is excellent news for us and West Kelowna Council is extremely grateful that the Federal Government saw the merit in this project," says West Kelowna Mayor Doug Findlater. "This much-needed renovation project will mean that our popular Jim Lind Arena will continue to serve future generations, just as it has served us for the past 40 years."
In Economic Action Plan 2012, the Harper Government announced further support to help communities across the country modernize their infrastructure. Our Government committed $150 million over two years for the Fund. The Fund supports projects that look to improve existing community infrastructure accessible for use by the public, such as community centres, recreational buildings, local arenas, cultural and other community facilities.
Since 2006, the Harper Government, through WD, has invested in job-creating small- and medium-sized businesses, aerospace, marine and defence industries, and supported innovative entrepreneurs in pursuing emerging markets. By continuing to promote new economic opportunities, WD is helping to create jobs, economic growth, and long-term prosperity.
A stronger West. A stronger Canada.
IF THERE IS A DISCREPANCY BETWEEN ANY PRINTED VERSION AND THE ELECTRONIC VERSION OF THIS NEWS RELEASE, THE ELECTRONIC VERSION WILL PREVAIL.
Regional Communications Manager
Western Economic Diversification Canada
Vancouver, British Columbia
District of West Kelowna
WD Toll-Free Number: 1 888 338-WEST (9378)
Teletypewriter (TTY): 1 877 303-3388
Website: WD is online at www.wd-deo.gc.ca
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher
- Will the Mac OS Now Be Offered by Dell?
- UK Targeted for Trojan Attacks
- MAX 2006: Tracks Announced
- BT's "Fixed-Mobile" Phone Gives Callers the Best of Both Worlds
- MetaSolv to Host Provisioning Symposium in London