|By Marketwired .||
|February 20, 2013 08:00 AM EST||
SUNNYVALE, CA -- (Marketwire) -- 02/20/13 -- AMD (NYSE: AMD), creator of the performance tablet category, today announced a new innovation for hybrid PCs that delivers uncompromised mobile PC experiences when in tablet mode or when connected to its base keyboard. Hybrid PCs are a new market segment between full notebooks and pure tablets that AMD plans to demonstrate, along with stand-alone performance tablets, at Mobile World Congress 2013 in Barcelona, Spain next week.
AMD Turbo Dock technology(1) automatically adjusts performance of the AMD accelerated processing unit (APU) higher while a hybrid PC is docked and being used for more complex tasks like content creation. Likewise, AMD Turbo Dock is designed to lower power consumption when in tablet mode, helping to save battery life and extend movie or video watching, as well as web browsing time.
"With our latest APUs, AMD aims to deliver a more complete, full-featured experience on tablet and hybrid PCs than has been available to date," said Steve Belt, vice president of AMD Ultra-low Power Products. "AMD Turbo Dock technology delivers on that promise by dynamically adjusting to what the user is doing to provide the optimal experience and battery life whether they are watching a video, playing a DirectX® 11-supported game or building a PowerPoint presentation for work."
AMD Turbo Dock technology is expected to appear this year on equipped hybrid systems built around the system-on-chip (SoC) codenamed "Temash" with AMD Radeon HD graphics. "Temash" is AMD's latest ultra-low power, mobility processor for Windows 8 tablets and hybrids that delivers five times the graphics performance of the competition's x86 tablet solution(2). Demonstrations at Mobile World Congress will include leading-edge applications and games on both quad-core and dual-core versions of the processor built with 28nm manufacturing technology.
"IDC research shows that two of the top demands tablet owners have are speed and a high resolution display," said Tom Mainelli, research director for tablets at IDC. "Balancing performance on high pixel density screens with user demands around battery life is essential to a great tablet experience. Technologies like AMD's newest generation APU 'Temash' aim to meet those needs."
Other premium features available from AMD-based tablets and hybrids include:
- Access to the AMD AppZone, a one-stop resource for accessing popular applications that can take advantage of the full compute capability of the processor;
- AMD Start Now technology that allows fast boot and resume from sleep times(3);
- AMD Radeon HD graphics on the APU, with support for full HD 1080p resolution, HDMI output for external displays, and impressive gaming performance with Microsoft DirectX 11 capability;
- Windows 8 and Windows 7 support with backward compatibility for all Windows applications.
- Keep up with AMD on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and LinkedIn
- Visit AMD in Hall 7 / Booth 7i-44 at Mobile World Congress 2013
AMD (NYSE: AMD) is a semiconductor design innovator leading the next era of vivid digital experiences with its groundbreaking AMD Accelerated Processing Units (APUs) that power a wide range of computing devices. AMD's server computing products are focused on driving industry-leading cloud computing and virtualization environments. AMD's superior graphics technologies are found in a variety of solutions ranging from game consoles, PCs to supercomputers. For more information, visit http://www.amd.com.
AMD, the AMD Arrow logo, AMD Radeon and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Other names are for informational purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners.
This document contains forward-looking statements concerning AMD, the timing and features of AMD's future products, which are made pursuant to the safe harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Forward-looking statements are commonly identified by words such as "would," "may," "expects," "believes," "plans," "intends," "projects," and other terms with similar meaning. Investors are cautioned that the forward-looking statements in this document are based on current beliefs, assumptions and expectations, speak only as of the date of this document and involve risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from current expectations. Risks include the possibility that Intel Corporation's pricing, marketing and rebating programs, product bundling, standard setting, new product introductions or other activities may negatively impact the company's plans; the company may be unable to develop, launch and ramp new products and technologies in the volumes that are required by the market at mature yields on a timely basis; that the company's third party foundry suppliers will be unable to transition its products to advanced manufacturing process technologies in a timely and effective way or to manufacture the company's products on a timely basis in sufficient quantities and using competitive technologies; the company will be unable to obtain sufficient manufacturing capacity or components to meet demand for its products or will not fully utilize its commitment with respect to GLOBALFOUNDRIES microprocessor manufacturing facilities; that customers stop buying the company's products or materially reduce their operations or demand for the company's products; that the company may be unable to maintain the level of investment in research and development that is required to remain competitive; that there may be unexpected variations in the market growth and demand for its products and technologies in light of the product mix that the company may have available at any particular time or a decline in demand; that the company will require additional funding and may be unable to raise sufficient capital on favorable terms, or at all; that global business and economic conditions will not improve or will worsen; that demand for computers will be lower than currently expected; and the effect of political or economic instability, domestically or internationally, on the company's sales or supply chain. Investors are urged to review in detail the risks and uncertainties in the company's Securities and Exchange Commission filings, including but not limited to the quarterly report on Form 10-Q for the quarter ended Sept. 29, 2012.
(1) AMD Turbo Dock technology allows a tablet device to boost its performance when connected with a compatible base unit. AMD Turbo Dock-compatible base units provide supplemental APU cooling beyond what is available solely in the slate. Actual performance increases using AMD Turbo Dock technology will vary based on the manufacturer's tablet, base unit and supplemental cooling solution design. AMD Turbo Dock technology is currently available only on the 2013 AMD A6-1450 APU, and is not available on all tablet models - check with the manufacturer for specific models that support this feature.
(2) Test conducted in AMD Performance Labs using FutureMark 3DMark 06 as a metric for GPU performance. The AMD A6-1450 APU-based system scored 2624 while the Intel Atom Z2760 based system scored 451. The platforms tested were the "Larne" reference platform with an AMD A6-1450 Quad Core 1.0GHz APU, AMD Radeon HD 8280 series graphics, 2GB DDR3-1066 system memory and Microsoft Windows 8, versus an Acer ICONIA W510-1666 with an Intel Atom Z2760 1.5GHz CPU, Intel integrated graphics, 2GB DDR3-1066 system memory and Microsoft Windows 8. TEM-5
(3) AMD Start Now technology is a BIOS-optimized solution designed to deliver better system responsiveness by minimizing the time to wake up the system from sleep mode, boot the system to desktop and connect to a wireless local area network. Actual times will vary based on operating system, APU, driver, disk drive and memory speed. AMD Start Now technology is available with select AMD APUs when running Windows 7 or Windows 8. Check with your component or system manufacturer or retailer for specific model capabilities.
AMD Client Products
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher