|By Marketwired .||
|February 14, 2013 12:02 AM EST||
ADELAIDE, AUSTRALIA -- (Marketwire) -- 02/14/13 -- The Documentary Australia Foundation (DAF) has been awarded the 2013 AIDC Stanley Hawes Award. The $5,000 Film Australia Stanley Hawes Award was established in 1997 to honour Stanley Gilbert Hawes (1905 - 1991) who was the first Producer-in-Chief of the Australian National Board and Commonwealth Film Unit.
The award recognizes the significant support Hawes gave independent filmmakers in the documentary sector and is awarded to a person or an organization that makes an outstanding contribution to the documentary industry in Australia.
Since 2009, after the merge of Film Australia into Screen Australia, the board of the Australian International Documentary Conference (AIDC) has continued the Stanley Hawes Award tradition and named it the AIDC Stanley Hawes Award.
Helen Leake, Co-Chair of the AIDC Board said, "Since its inception DAF has demonstrated a persistence and determination that has led to great awareness about the power of documentary, as well as real dollars flown in to the sector.
"DAF has redefined the position of documentary and documentary filmmakers in our society. The AIDC Board would like to recognise DAF with the Stanley Hawes Award and likes to celebrate the team behind the organisation for turning an idea into an institution."
Ian Darling, founder of DAF will accept the award and will deliver the annual Stanley Hawes Address at the opening of the Australian International Documentary Conference (AIDC) being held at the Intercontinental in Adelaide, South Australia from February 25 - March 3.
Documentary Australia Foundation aims to inspire and nurture partnerships between philanthropic individuals, foundations, charities and documentary filmmakers. DAF provides expertise, information, guidance and resources to help each sector work together to achieve their goals.
DAF educates filmmakers and non profits about audience engagement and advises philanthropists about what documentaries can achieve. DAF manages and receives grants and donations, which are directed either towards its own operations or to specific film projects. The Stanley Hawes award is announced annually at the Australian International Documentary Conference. Winners in recent years include Bob Connolly (2009), Tom Zubrycki (2010), Rachel Perkins (2011) and Julia Overton (2012).
AUSTRALIAN INTERNATIONAL DOCUMENTARY CONFERENCE
Monday 25 February - Thursday 28th February
Intercontinental Hotel Adelaide, North Terrace,
For further information contact
+ 61 0 8 8394 2595
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher
- Will the Mac OS Now Be Offered by Dell?
- UK Targeted for Trojan Attacks
- MAX 2006: Tracks Announced
- BT's "Fixed-Mobile" Phone Gives Callers the Best of Both Worlds
- MetaSolv to Host Provisioning Symposium in London