|By PR Newswire||
|February 13, 2013 01:01 AM EST||
NAIROBI, Kenya, February 13, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
Transparency International, Kenya (TI-Kenya) makes peace a priority as it launches the "I RUN FOR INTEGRITY - I AM THE CHANGE" peace campaign at their offices in ACK Garden House,1st Ngong Avenue .
The press briefing scheduled shortly after the first ever Presidential Debate in Kenya is scheduled to be held at the Transparency International offices Wednesday 13 February in Upperhill, Nairobi Kenya. With just four weeks until the country starts polling for the first general elections since the violence in 2007, this campaign is hoping to create a safe and hopeful platform for Kenyans to express their views on how integrity and peace can shape their future. The first event in the series planned by campaign sponsors Transparency International and partner Kenya Believe It is the I RUN FOR INTEGRITY PEACE RALLY to be held in NAKURU at the AFRAHA Stadium 10am to 6pm. We hope this rally will show the numbers behind integrity and peace in a country where on the eve of Valentine's Day there is more discussion about elections than romance.
TI-Kenya Executive Director Mr. Samuel Kimeu said the stakes are very high in these elections. "We are in a new era of the first General Elections under the Constitution of Kenya, 2010 and that has made the dynamics different from previous elections."
In the lead up to the March 2013 general election, the campaign aims at sensitising the population and especially Kenya's youth, on the importance of electing leaders based on their personal integrity, competence and suitability. The campaign calls for elections that are free, fair, transparent and peaceful. The youth make over 60% of the population of Kenya and have the potential to completely change the course our history if they use their vote and numbers for this purpose.
The campaign's message will be spread through two concerts in Nakuru and Mombasa, targeting a total of 40,000 people. Its strapline is "SIASA NI KUAMINIKA. KUTUMIKIA. KUBADILISHA", which translates as "Politics is: being trustworthy, serving, bringing about change." The concerts will have performances by six leading artists and will feature the official anthem developed for the campaign with all six performers on stage together for the first time. The dates will be Saturday 16th February at Nakuru's Afraha stadium and Sunday 24th February in Mombasa. Both are family concerts and will be held during the day.
The official sponsor of the campaign is Transparency International Kenya (TI-Kenya). TI-Kenya is part of the Transparency International group that is a non-partisan coalition of individuals with a shared vision of a corruption free world. The campaign was conceived by Kenya Believe It movement, which encourages all Kenyans to work together for positive change and to transcend tribal, ethnic and gender divisions.
The I RUN FOR INTEGRITY initiative is the first of its kind in Kenya. It has identified Kenya's youth as a voting group pivotal to the country's future.
"Elections are a defining characteristic of democratic regimes" said Mr. Samuel Kimeu, Executive Director of TI-Kenya. "Through elections, politicians are held accountable by the people they serve. It is vitally important that every individual voter understands that electing leaders with integrity is essential for realising a country's potential. Education and awareness are the essential tools to empower citizens to make informed choices."
"Youth can be drivers of historic social change" said Priya Chana, Director of Kenya Believe It. "For instance, in the 1960s in Europe and the USA, youth movements and the rock artists stood up and shook the system. Non-discrimination, and gender and race equality, went from being causes for protesters to being fundamental mainstream social attitudes. Kenyan youth and musical artists can be equally ground-breaking."
TI-Kenya has enlisted 6 leading artists to champion the message of integrity and peaceful elections: Jua Cali, Sanaipei, Rabbit, Avril, Ala-C and Marya. Together with the campaign team, they have produced an anthem called "RFI" ("Run For Integrity") which was unveiled at the press conference, and will be widely available.
TI-Kenya appeals to youth in Kenya to support this campaign by logging on to the official TI-Kenya Facebook site: http://www.facebook.com/TransparencyKenya,where they can express their thoughts and opinions freely in a safe, respectful manner. Trending on twitter #irun4integrity and follow @TIKenya.
Jua Cali, leading Kenyan artist who is a driving force in this movement said: "I believe in my people. I believe that Kenyan youth want what is best for the country and I believe they will choose peace and integrity this election."
TI-Kenya implore upon the youth to get out, spread the peace message and vote. "March 4th is Election Day. It is our day-it is the day for all of us to stand up and be counted, to make our voices heard. It is our day to exercise our voice.
It's time to mobilize our nation, to bring us all together into an unstoppable force.
It's not about saying "someone should fix it", but "I can fix it. I chose to create the country I want to live in."
It starts with us. It starts with you! Join the movement today!
I RUN FOR INTEGRITY
Notes to the Editor
ABOUT THE CAMPAIGN
- Campaign Name: I RUN FOR INTEGRITY
- Campaign Message: Siasa ni Kuaminika, kutumikia, kubadilisha Kenya
Politics is: being trustworthy. Serving. Bringing about change."
The campaign seeks to redefine politics in Kenya. To provoke the audience to place integrity at the centre of the political processes and choices for a leadership that can be trusted, that serves and positively transforms the life of every citizen.
- Campaign Events
Saturday 16th February – Nakuru – Peace Rally – 10am to 6pm – Afraha Stadium
Sunday 24th February – Mombasa – Peace Rally – 10am to 6pm – Jomo Kenyatta Public Beach
Moment of Peace – National Activity – TO BE CONFIRMED
- Campaign Taglines:
- Mi ndio voice, mi ndio change, mi ndio Kenya
I am the voice, I am the change, I am Kenya
- Natia zii ufisadi, nachagua Kenya
I say no to corruption, I choose to stand up for Kenya
- Amani yako, amani yangu, amani yetu Kenya
Your Peace, My Peace , Our Peace
- Sitachochwa, nachagua amani
I won't be incited, I choose peace
Jua Cali Sanaipei Tande ALA C Avril Rabbit Marya
- Join the conversation
- on twitter: @TIKenya
- By Trending on twitter #irun4integrity
- on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/TransparencyKenya
- On Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kenya-Believe-It/96465928843?fref=ts
ABOUT TRANSPARENCY INTERNATIONAL - KENYA
- Transparency International-Kenya is a not-for-profit organization founded in '99 in Kenya with the aim of developing a transparent & corruption free Kenya
- TRANSPARENCY INTERNATIONAL-KENYA is a non profit organization founded in 1999 and registered as a company limited by guarantee, with the aim of a transparent, accountable and corruption free Kenya, for good governance and social justice initiatives ..
TI-KENYA is part of the Transparency International group that is a non-partisan coalition of individuals with a shared vision of a corruption free world. TI-Kenya is an autonomous Chapter in the Transparency International movement, a global coalition against corruption, with which we share knowledge and exchange ideas for the greater good of Kenya.
A transparent, just and accountable Kenyan society
To support citizens and governance institutions effect transparency and accountability in public and business affairs through legal and policy frameworks, skills, knowledge and information
TI-Kenya is guided by the following set of values:
• Respect for diversity, inclusion and participation
ABOUT KENYA BELIEVE IT
- Kenya Believe It is a movement of Kenya & her friends that will build the Brand of Kenya outside the influences of government, politics & jaded bureaucrats, to the benefit of the Kenyan people & for the attraction of the international community.
Kenya Believe It has been formed to ensure that an integrated Kenya national brand is created, harnessed and sustained for the long term.
- Kenya Believe It is a movement of Kenya & her friends that will build the Brand of Kenya outside the influences of government, politics & jaded bureaucrats, to the benefit of the Kenyan people & for the attraction of the international community
- The movement will work on building national identity and pride in every Kenyan and instilling confidence in Kenya among foreigners, investors, development partners and tourists
- The corporation will aim to improve the quality of life of every single Kenyan by working to get all sectors of Kenya, from natural beauty to natural talents of Kenya and Kenyan's known and marketed to the whole world
- We will aim to pull Kenyan's all from all over the world together to help market their country outside the influences of politics and government bureaucracy to do something good for Kenya by the people for the people
- Facebook Page: Kenya Believe It
Address & Contacts
Head Office - 3rd Floor,
Wing D, ACK Garden House,
1st Ngong Avenue off Bishop's Road
PRESS LIASON CONTACT
On behalf of TI-Kenya
PC* Communications Ltd
UK Mobile +44(0)7808-55-33-14
KE Mobile (sms only) +254-724-716-397
Linked in ke.linkedin.com/pub/priya-chana/23/42a/b60/
SOURCE Transparency International
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher
- Will the Mac OS Now Be Offered by Dell?
- UK Targeted for Trojan Attacks