|By PR Newswire||
|February 13, 2013 12:01 AM EST||
WASHINGTON, Feb. 13, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Following is the daily "Profile America" feature from the U.S. Census Bureau:
WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 13: FIRST PUBLIC SCHOOL
Profile America — Wednesday, February 13th. This date marks the anniversary in 1635 of America's first public school — the Boston Latin School — long before there was a United States. And this month in 1897, Phoebe Hearst and Alice Birney founded what is today known as the Parent Teacher Association or PTA. Originally called the National Congress of Mothers, the organization now encourages both mothers and fathers to take part in school activities to improve the quality of their children's education. Today, there are over 49 million youngsters enrolled in elementary through high school, with an additional nine million attending nursery school or kindergarten. You can find more facts about America's people, places and economy from the American Community Survey at www.census.gov.
Sources: Kane's Famous First Facts, 838
U.S. Census Bureau, School Enrollment
Profile America is produced by the Center for New Media and Promotions of the U.S. Census Bureau. These daily features are available as produced segments, ready to air, on a monthly CD or on the Internet at http://www.census.gov (look for "Multimedia Gallery" by the "Newsroom" button).
SOURCE U.S. Census Bureau
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- Will the Mac OS Now Be Offered by Dell?