|By PR Newswire||
|February 12, 2013 11:10 PM EST||
WASHINGTON, Feb. 12, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- President Barack Obama delivered the State of the Union address to a joint session of Congress tonight, outlining an agenda that will continue to deprive young Americans of economic opportunity.
Young adults continue to suffer disproportionately from the poor economy. According to Generation Opportunity's latest Millennial Jobs Report, 13.1% of 18-29 year olds are unemployed. That figure doesn't even include an additional 1.7 million young adults no longer counted because they have stopped looking. Effectively, 16.2% of young people are out of work.
"Tonight's speech indicates that young people will be screwed even more in the next four years than they were in Obama's first term. When the President talks about 'investing in the future,' he really means stealing prosperity from young Americans to pay for a bloated, out-of-control, and unsustainable federal government," said Evan Feinberg, President of Generation Opportunity.
"I am disappointed that young Americans – who voted to re-elect this President – are going to be subjected to the same tax and spend policies that have left us holding the bag. In his speech, the President proposed billions in new 'stimulus' spending, doubling down on economic policies that have done little but steal our generation's prosperity."
Young Adults on Government Spending and Debt
- Only 36% of 18-29 year olds agree with the statement "generally speaking, things in the United States are heading in the right direction."
- 72% would decrease federal spending if given the opportunity to set America's fiscal priorities.
- 61% would decrease taxes on individuals if given the opportunity to set America's fiscal priorities.
- Only 38% believe that today's political leaders reflect the interests of young Americans.
For Generation Opportunity, the polling company, inc./WomanTrend conducted a nationwide online survey of 1,003 adults ages 18-29 between July 27 and July 31, 2012 with a ±3.1% margin of error. Full methodology available upon request.
Read more about Government Spending and Debt.
Generation Opportunity is a national, nonpartisan youth advocacy organization arming young people with the knowledge, resources, and tools to advocate for policy solutions that expand economic opportunity for our generation.
Follow us on Twitter: @GenOpportunity
SOURCE Generation Opportunity
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher