|By PR Newswire||
|February 11, 2013 11:04 AM EST||
More than 120 Survivors and Family Members in DC as Part of Mayors Against Illegal Guns' Demand A Plan Campaign; www.DemandAPlan.org
WASHINGTON, Feb. 11, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- North Carolinians affected by gun violence will be part of more than 120 survivors and family members in Washington this week as part of Mayors Against Illegal Guns' Demand A Plan campaign for common-sense gun law reforms that will help end the gun violence that kills 33 Americans every day. Survivors and family members are coming from 21 states and Washington, DC.
As part of their meetings with members of Congress this week, survivors and family members will advocate for legislation that will:
- Require every gun buyer to pass a criminal background check
- Get military-style assault weapons and high-capacity magazines off our streets
- Make gun trafficking a federal crime.
WHO: Yolanda Bagley, son killed by gun violence
Demetriss China, daughter killed by gun violence
Javonna Carrington and Zamari China, sister killed by gun violence
Annettte Carrington Johnson, granddaughter killed by gun violence
Brenda James, son killed by gun violence
Effie McDonald Steele, daughter killed by gun violence
WHEN: Monday-Wednesday, February 11-13, 2013
*** Please contact Mayors Against Illegal Guns for pre-SOTU analysis or post-SOTU reaction from survivors or family members***
About Mayors Against Illegal Guns
Since its inception in April 2006, Mayors Against Illegal Guns has grown from 15 mayors to more than 850 mayors from across the country. We have more than a million grassroots supporters, making us the largest gun violence prevention advocacy organization in the country. The bipartisan coalition, co-chaired by New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg and Boston Mayor Thomas Menino, has united the nation's mayors around these common goals: protecting their communities by holding gun offenders and irresponsible gun dealers accountable; demanding access to trace data that is critical to law enforcement efforts to combat illegal gun trafficking; and working with legislators to fix gaps, weaknesses and loopholes in the law that make it far too easy for criminals and other prohibited purchasers to get guns. Learn more at www.DemandAPlan.org
SOURCE Mayors Against Illegal Guns
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher
- Will the Mac OS Now Be Offered by Dell?
- UK Targeted for Trojan Attacks