|By PR Newswire||
|February 11, 2013 09:37 AM EST||
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich., Feb. 11, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Today, the United Food and Commercial Workers (UFCW) Local 951 announced its endorsement of Jim Anaich (D-49th District) for the 27th State Senate District. The seat is vacant due to former Senator John Gleason being elected Genesee County Clerk. The special primary election is scheduled for Tuesday, March 12
"Jim has been a fighter for workers in his district and across the state," John Cakmakci, UFCW 951 president, said. "He has a proven track record of standing up for working families and fighting to preserve Michigan's middle class."
Anaich is currently serving in his second term in the House of Representatives where he has fought against tax hikes on middle class families and attacks on workers' rights. As a former teacher, Anaich also fought against cuts to school funding. He has led efforts to help create jobs, improve workforce development and prevent scrap metal theft. His bill to help keep unused prescription drugs off the streets was signed into law at the end of 2012.
Before coming to the House, Anaich served for four years on the Flint City Council, including one year as its president. While on the city council, he voted to cut his own pay by 15 percent and refused to take any council perks. Since being elected to the state House, he has continued his push for reforms, voting to end lifetime benefits for politicians and finding savings for taxpayers in his own office budget.
"Jim shows up every day and goes to work for the people of Michigan, fighting for what's best for them, not just the one percent," Cakmakci said. "He has done an excellent job representing UFCW members in Genesee County in the House, and I am confident he will continue to be a great advocate for workers in the Senate."
UFCW 951 represents approximately 28,000 workers across Michigan employed at a variety of companies including Meijer, Kroger, Rite Aid, JBS, Polly's, Plumb's, Harding's, Valley City Linen and Orchard Grove Nursing Home.
SOURCE UFCW 951
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher