|By PR Newswire||
|February 11, 2013 06:08 AM EST||
MANCHESTER, England, February 11, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
Betfred boss Fred Done is making his earliest ever pay-out on his beloved Manchester United winning the Premier League title.
And that comes despite the Salford bookie famously losing over £1million by paying punters early on United and getting burned twice before - including last season.
Sunday's 2-0 victory for Sir Alex Ferguson's men over Everton combined with Manchester City's shock 3-1 loss at Southampton extended the Red Devils' lead at the top to 12 points.
And Done decided to hand over £300,000 to United backers with 12 games still to play - almost a third of the campaign, including a derby against nearest challengers City.
Fred Done said: "After it all went wrong last year, my missus made me promise to never do it again.
"But with United 12 points clear with just 12 games left the title race is over - so my punters can collect their dough on United."
The Betfred chief was the first person to pay out early on United in March of 1998, when they blew an identical 12-point lead and were pipped to the title by a point by Arsenal.
That cost lifelong Reds fan Done a cool half a million - a loss matched last term after paying out on United when five points clear with seven games remaining.
A late collapse saw bitter rivals Manchester City famously snatch the title with virtually the last kick of the season against Queens Park Rangers.
Done is risking the wrath of Sir Alex Ferguson and United fans. Fergie told him never to repeat the move after 1998, and fans have blamed him for jinxing last season's challenge.
But despite being stung in the past he is sure that there is now no way back for United's rivals - and insists they are a cert to clinch a 20th Premier League crown.
Meanwhile Manchester United are preparing to take on Real Madrid in the Champions League and they are 4/1 at http://www.betfred.com to win the first leg.
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher
- Will the Mac OS Now Be Offered by Dell?
- UK Targeted for Trojan Attacks