|By PR Newswire||
|February 11, 2013 12:01 AM EST||
WASHINGTON, Feb. 11, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Following is the daily "Profile America" feature from the U.S. Census Bureau:
MONDAY, FEBRUARY 11: AMERICA'S FIRST HOSPITAL
Profile America — Monday, February 11th. Among his many achievements, Benjamin Franklin played a leading role in the founding of America's first hospital. Together with Dr. Thomas Bond, he obtained a charter for a hospital to serve the poor, sick, and insane in Philadelphia. The Pennsylvania Hospital opened on this date in 1752, in a converted house. The hospital later developed at a location where a modern medical complex still serves the city. During its long history, the hospital's doctors have made advances in many fields, becoming known as "the father" of both American psychiatry and also of surgery. Today, there are more than 6,500 hospitals in the U.S., employing over 5.5 million people. You can find more facts about America from the U.S. Census Bureau, online at www.census.gov.
Sources: Kane's Famous First Facts, 4868
2007 Economic Census, NAICS 622
Profile America is produced by the Center for New Media and Promotions of the U.S. Census Bureau. These daily features are available as produced segments, ready to air, on a monthly CD or on the Internet at http://www.census.gov (look for "Multimedia Gallery" by the "Newsroom" button).
SOURCE U.S. Census Bureau
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher