|By Marketwired .||
|February 10, 2013 09:00 AM EST||
TORONTO, ONTARIO -- (Marketwire) -- 02/10/13 -- The Honourable Christian Paradis, Minister of Industry, today announced a repayable government contribution of $778,800 through the Strategic Aerospace and Defence Initiative (SADI) to support a project being undertaken by Engineering Services Inc. (ESI). The Toronto-based company will perform research and development to create a next-generation mobile robotics platform capable of carrying out such tasks as reconnaissance in law enforcement, defence and other security sectors.
"Our government is a strong supporter of Canadian science, technology and innovation because we know that tomorrow's successes rest firmly on today's investments," said Minister Paradis. "Canada is a world leader in robotics, and through targeted and repayable investments such as this one, we are helping cement that reputation."
ESI, which builds automated robotic products that combine mechanical systems, electronics and computer software, will collaborate with University of Toronto faculty and graduate students. This project will expand the use of robotics and automation in other Canadian companies and among supply chain partners. It will increase reliability in security-related work by introducing robots to perform repetitive tasks.
"New processes are fundamentally changing how products get made and how businesses are run. Advanced economies have to become leaders in the high-value-added stages of production," added the Minister. "The global economy is changing, and our government is working to ensure that Canadian businesses have the tools they need to change with it."
SADI supports industrial research and pre-competitive development projects in the aerospace, defence, space and security industries. The Government of Canada has invested more than $827 million in the aerospace and defence industry through this initiative, which is expected to leverage an additional $1.6 billion in investment.
Director of Communications
Office of the Honourable Christian Paradis
Minister of Industry
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher
- Will the Mac OS Now Be Offered by Dell?
- UK Targeted for Trojan Attacks
- MAX 2006: Tracks Announced
- BT's "Fixed-Mobile" Phone Gives Callers the Best of Both Worlds
- MetaSolv to Host Provisioning Symposium in London