|By Marketwired .||
|February 8, 2013 07:31 PM EST||
TAMPA, FL -- (Marketwire) -- 02/08/13 -- Some causes of cerebral palsy can be traced back to infections or genetic issues present before a child is born. However, Florida courts are seeing an increase in cases alleging that hospitals are at fault.
The parents of a brain-injured baby recently filed a birth injury suit in Palm Beach County, Florida against St. Mary's Medical Center in West Palm Beach. They allege the mother received substandard care resulting in brain damage to her baby and eventual cerebral palsy.
Tampa personal injury attorney Robert Joyce, who is not involved in the case, commented, "Prenatal and neonatal care is the subject of many lawsuits due to infants' susceptibility to injury and the many opportunities for error."
According to the plaintiff, St. Mary's admitted the mother, then six months pregnant, with ruptured membranes. This increases the risk of premature birth and other complications.
After two weeks in the hospital, a nurse found a blockage in the mother's IV tube and gave her a declotting drug. The mother had an allergic reaction to the drug, which caused the fetal heart rate to drop, and doctors ordered an emergency C-section.
Nearly one hour passed between the mother's allergic reaction and the C-section.
At birth, the baby weighed just 2.4 pounds and had difficulty breathing and a slow pulse. An MRI showed his brain was injured. Within three months, he was diagnosed with cerebral palsy.
The parents claim the brain injury resulted from the delay in performing the C-section. They are seeking damages for the baby's brain injury and current and future medical expenses.
"If the plaintiffs can show that the delay in performing the C-section was avoidable and contributed to the brain injury, they may have a case," added Mr. Joyce.
To learn more or to Tampa personal injury lawyer or the Joyce & Reyes Law Firm, visit http://www.joyceandreyespa.com/ or call 1.888.771.1529.
About Joyce & Reyes Law Firm
Tampa auto accident and personal injury firm, Joyce and Reyes Law Firm has more than 30 years of experience winning million-dollar verdicts. It is their philosophy to maximize the recovery in each case and are willing to try the case to a verdict if there is not a fair and sufficient offer.
307 South Hyde Park Avenue
Tampa, FL 33606
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher
- Will the Mac OS Now Be Offered by Dell?
- UK Targeted for Trojan Attacks