|By Marketwired .||
|February 7, 2013 03:35 PM EST||
OTTAWA, ONTARIO -- (Marketwire) -- 02/07/13 -- The Honourable Joe Oliver, Canada's Minister of Natural Resources, today released the following statement following the release of a report by the Canada West Foundation entitled Pipe or Perish: Saving an Oil Industry at Risk.
"Today's report released by the Canada West Foundation reinforces what our Government has said all along: reaching new markets for our natural resources is critical for Canadian jobs, economic growth and long-term prosperity across our country.
"Natural resource development supports approximately 1.6 million jobs across Canada and generates billions of dollars worth of revenue to help pay for important social programs like health care and education.
"Our Government's plan for Responsible Resource Development is eliminating wasteful duplication in the approval process, while strengthening environmental protection, and enhancing consultations with Aboriginal peoples. We are also keeping taxes low and working aggressively to open new markets for Canada's natural resources across the world.
"Independent regulators will conduct a comprehensive objective scientific evaluation to determine whether any specific project passes regulatory muster and is safe for Canadians and safe for the environment.
"Our commitment to developing Canada's natural resources is helping to strengthen our economy, solidify our economic recovery and position Canada to complete and prosper over the long term."
NRCan's news releases and backgrounders are available at www.nrcan.gc.ca/media.
Media may contact:
Office of Canada's Minister of Natural Resources
Natural Resources Canada, Ottawa
The general public may contact:
Mon.-Fri., 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. EST
(teletype for the hearing-impaired)
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher