|By Business Wire||
|February 5, 2013 10:09 AM EST||
The following statement is attributable to Gary Shapiro, president and CEO of the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA)®, regarding today’s joint U.S. House of Representatives hearing on Internet freedom:
“The open and uncensored Internet is a great engine of social and economic progress – but it is under threat. Through the United Nation’s agency, the International Telecommunication Union (ITU), a number of countries are attempting to establish greater governmental control of the Internet. Their efforts, if successful, could destroy the open and innovative technology platform that millions around the world need and trust.
“As the world’s technology leader, it is essential that the United States persuade other nations of the benefits of an open Internet. We must provide the example. We must continue to walk the walk, not just talk about preserving Internet Freedom.
“We commend the Commerce and Foreign Affairs Committees for today’s hearing reinforcing America’s commitment to keeping the Internet open and safe from government censorship and interference. We look forward to working with Congress to protect and promote a global Internet free from government control.”
The Consumer Electronics Association (CEA) is the preeminent trade association promoting growth in the $209 billion U.S. consumer electronics industry. More than 2,000 companies enjoy the benefits of CEA membership, including legislative advocacy, market research, technical training and education, industry promotion, standards development and the fostering of business and strategic relationships. CEA also owns and produces the International CES – The Global Stage for Innovation. All profits from CES are reinvested into CEA’s industry services. Find CEA online at www.CE.org, www.DeclareInnovation.com and through social media: https://www.facebook.com/#!/CEAfeed http://twitter.com/ceafeed http://blog.ce.org/.
March 8-10, 2013, Snowmass, CO
CES on the Hill
April 16, 2013, Washington, DC
Technology & Standards Spring Forum
May 20-24, 2013, Denver, CO
June 24-28, 2013, New York, NY
2013 CEA Industry Forum
October 20-23, 2013, Los Angeles, CA
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher