|By Marketwired .||
|February 3, 2013 11:23 AM EST||
OTTAWA, ONTARIO -- (Marketwire) -- 02/03/13 -- The Honourable Julian Fantino, Minister of International Cooperation today kicked off the beginning of the annual International Development Week held from February 3rd to the 9th. International Development Week features local events all across Canada that pay tribute to the thousands of Canadians who devote themselves to improving lives in the developing world. For the past 23 years, the Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA) has held International Development Week as a way to celebrate the contribution Canadians make around the world. This year, the theme is "I am making a difference".
"Canada, as a compassionate neighbour, strives to assist the most needy around the world and seeks to bring to fruition real, tangible results," said Minister Fantino.
Canada, through the Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA), seeks to bolster sustainable economic growth and assist developing countries achieve lasting benefit.
International Development Week features a wide variety of events across the country.
As part of this week's events, Minister Fantino will deliver a keynote speech at the Global Food Security Forum hosted by the Saskatchewan Trade and Export Partnership on Tuesday, February 5th. The event will bring together the United Nations World Food Programme, the Saskatchewan agricultural sector, exporters, and other businesses for discussion on food security. Minister Fantino will speak about the importance of increased partnership between Canadian businesses and foreign development as a way to grow sustainability abroad while also boosting Canada's economy.
"Our government is committed to building a more prosperous and secure world, not only for our neighbours in developing countries but as a means to strengthen Canada as well," added Minister Fantino. "One which espouses fundamental freedoms we enjoy every day in Canada: freedom, democracy, human rights, and the rule of law. The Government of Canada is committed to this work and will strive to maximize Canada's investments to achieve the greatest outcomes for those most in need and for Canada's future."
For more information on an International Development Week event in your local community, visit: http://www.cida.gc.ca/idw2013.
Minister of International Cooperation
Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA)
Media Relations Office
Follow us on Twitter: @CIDA_CA
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher
- Will the Mac OS Now Be Offered by Dell?
- UK Targeted for Trojan Attacks