|By Marketwired .||
|February 1, 2013 06:08 PM EST||
OTTAWA, ONTARIO -- (Marketwire) -- 02/01/13 -- The Honourable Peter MacKay, Minister of National Defence, today announced a substantial contract award to Ultra Electronics Marine Systems Inc., of Dartmouth, Nova Scotia.
"Our Government continues to build on its strong record of ensuring the men and women who serve this country have the equipment they need to do their jobs," said Minister MacKay. "We continue to invest in the technologies that benefit the Canadian Armed Forces, and we continue to ensure that Canadian industries benefit from these important investments."
The $6.9 million contract covers maintenance work on the towed-array sonars on Canada's fleet of four Victoria-class submarines. The work carried out under this three-year contract will ensure that these submarines remain an integral component of Canadian defence and security.
The contract also supports technical jobs at Ultra Electronics Marine Systems Inc., which employs 147 people, thus benefitting Nova Scotia's economy.
Victoria-class submarines perform a wide range of roles, contributing significantly to the security and sovereignty of Canada. These roles include surveillance, support to maritime law enforcement, maintenance of fleet skills, as well as domestic and international operations.
Canada's submarine fleet will reach steady state in 2013, with the completion of the ongoing Extended Docking Work Period for HMCS Chicoutimi. Steady state means Canada will have three of the four submarines available for operations. One submarine will be taking its turn in the rotation for extended maintenance at all times.
The Government of Canada is committed to ensuring that the Canadian Armed Forces have the equipment they need to be modern, capable, and ready for the security challenges of the future.
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher