|By Marketwire .||
|February 1, 2013 01:48 PM EST||
OTTAWA, ONTARIO -- (Marketwire) -- 02/01/13 -- Today, the Honourable Lisa Raitt, Canada's Labour Minister, commended Garda Security Screening Inc., the United Steelworkers (USW) and the United Food and Commercial Workers International Canada (UFCW Canada) following ratification of new collective agreements by members at nine Ontario airports.
"I am very pleased that Garda Security Screening Inc. and both unions have reached agreements at several Ontario airports," said Minister Raitt. "Strong labour-management relations benefit the economic prosperity and security of Canadians."
The USW union independently represents some 220 employees at the Ottawa MacDonald-Cartier International Airport and about 230 employees working at airports in Sarnia, Hamilton, Kitchener/Waterloo region, Timmins, Windsor, Sudbury and Sault Ste. Marie. All of these employees are responsible for the airport security screening of passengers. Their previous collective agreements expired on March 31, 2012.
The UFCW Canada Local Union 175 represents about 35 employees at the Thunder Bay International Airport who are also in charge of security screening for passengers. Their previous collective agreements expired on March 31, 2012.
Garda is the largest pre-screening services provider to the Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA).
The agreements were reached with assistance from the Labour Program's Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service. The Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service provides dispute resolution and dispute prevention assistance to trade unions and employers under the jurisdiction of the Canada Labour Code.
This news release is available in alternative formats upon request.
Office of Minister Raitt
Media Relations Office
Human Resources and Skills Development Canada
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- Will the Mac OS Now Be Offered by Dell?
- UK Targeted for Trojan Attacks