|By Marketwired .||
|January 29, 2013 09:00 PM EST||
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA -- (Marketwire) -- 01/29/13 -- City Index Australia: The rollercoaster ride on Wall Street for Netflix scaled new heights, with the company's stock climbing by $43.60 to close the day's trading on the Nasdaq at $146.86.
The favourable figures are the result of the company revealing better than expected earnings for the last three months of 2012 late on Wednesday.
Netflix's 42 per cent rise is the biggest gain since the company went public over ten years ago; a time when investors were still reluctant to buy into internet companies due to the burst of the dot-com bubble.
Its previous high came in October 2002, where shares rose by nearly 36 per cent.
Confidence in the company has grown since it established itself as the leader of streaming movies and television shows for use at home, although it does still run its DVD-by-mail service.
The company had fallen out of favour on Wall Street due to upsetting its subscribers by announcing the end of DVD rental and streaming services in one single package, as well as increasing competition from Amazon and Hulu.
This caused such low-confidence on the part of investors that its stocks fell to a 52-month low just five months ago.
But investment from billionaire Carl Icahn, as well as a deal with the Walt Disney Co in December has restored faith amongst investors.
Find out and learn about cfd trading at cityindex.
Trading in CFDs involves significant risk and potential exposure to substantial loss. CFD trading can result in losses that exceed your initial investment and CFD investors do not own or have any rights to underlying assets. Investing in CFDs is not suitable for all investors and CFD trading is not likely to meet the investment objectives, needs and risk profile of most retail investors. You should seek independent advice to ensure that you understand the risks before you trade in CFDs. This advertisement contains general information only and does not take your objectives, financial situation, or needs into account. You should consider our PDS available at www.cityindex.com.au before you make any investment decision. City Index Australia Pty Ltd ACN 141 774 727, AFSL 345646 is the CFD issuer and its CFDs are traded off exchange. City Index Australia Pty Ltd may take the opposite side of your trade as part of its market risk management.
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher
- Will the Mac OS Now Be Offered by Dell?
- UK Targeted for Trojan Attacks