|By Marketwired .||
|January 28, 2013 06:00 PM EST||
SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA -- (Marketwire) -- 01/28/13 -- Juniper Networks (NYSE: JNPR), the industry leader in network innovation, today announced that Optus has selected the Juniper Networks® PTX5000 Packet Transport Switch as the foundation of its next-generation converged core network. The PTX platform -- which combines the inherent efficiency of Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) with the simplicity of switching and integrated optics -- will enable Optus to manage cost and scale its core network to accommodate exponential data growth as Optus rolls out its new 4G LTE mobile network.
Optus has seen significant growth in its mobile network and faces the same pressure on margins as other global carriers, with the need to lower the cost-per-bit and limit or reduce complexity in its network. The Juniper Networks PTX Series Packet Transport Switch is the foundation of Optus' next-generation converged core because of its scalability, density and efficiency. It also enables the carrier to profitably handle continued growth in the use of mobile smart devices and the increase in cloud-based and video applications that generate exponentially growing and unpredictable traffic.
- The company runs its existing core network as a converged platform that supports mobile network and wireline services. This enables Optus to leverage common transport links and core MPLS services to support its full business.
- Optus is initially deploying Juniper Networks PTX Series in Melbourne and plans to expand the use of the PTX platform in other core points of presence in 2013.
- With Juniper Networks Junos® operating system running on the PTX platform, the reliability and performance of Optus' critical business applications and management systems is further improved.
- Optus made use of Juniper Networks Junosphere virtual networking environment to design and model the new network and assist with planning the migration. Junosphere enables service providers and other customers running Junos-based networks to create and run replicas of their network in the cloud, without costly investments in lab hardware.
- Optus is also leveraging Juniper Networks Professional Services' "Testing as a Service," enabling it to test, plan and execute in Juniper's test labs without having to invest in the development and operation of its own sophisticated labs and equipment. This reduces project risk and allows Optus to take advantage of Juniper Networks' expertise in network design methodology, existing tools and standardized testing to ensure a seamless product implementation.
- Optus selected Nokia Siemens Networks -- the world's specialist in mobile broadband and a Juniper Networks Global Alliance Partner -- as a partner for its key network initiatives including implementation of the next-generation core network.
A member of the SingTel Group, Optus is Australia's second largest telecommunications carrier, providing the government, business and residential markets with a broad range of wireline and mobile network services.
"We carefully chose a core platform to support the organization's growth aspiration. We selected Juniper Networks PTX Series Packet Transport Switch as it provides the density required to support our growth plans. The optimized nature of the PTX platform will also help us manage our cost base as we grow our network, while the power efficiency of the platform will help us support growth within a manageable power environment."
-Karim Nejaim, vice president, Converged Services Engineering, Optus
"The decision by Optus to deploy Juniper Networks PTX Packet Transport Switch platform is an important endorsement of our core network strategy. With carrier network resources under continuous pressure, the Juniper Networks PTX Series delivers industry-defining standards of scale, reliability and automation in the supercore, but with optimized power and space consumption and lower total cost-of-ownership."
-Mike Marcellin, senior vice president, strategy and marketing, Platform and Systems Division, Juniper Networks
- Juniper.Net Community: www.juniper.net/community
- Juniper on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Junipernetworks
- Juniper on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/JuniperNetworks
About Juniper Networks
Juniper Networks is in the business of network innovation. From devices to data centers, from consumers to cloud providers, Juniper Networks delivers the software, silicon and systems that transform the experience and economics of networking. Additional information can be found at Juniper Networks (www.juniper.net) or connect with Juniper on Twitter and Facebook.
Juniper Networks and Junos are registered trademarks of Juniper Networks, Inc. in the United States and other countries. The Juniper Networks and Junos logos and Junosphere are trademarks of Juniper Networks, Inc. All other trademarks, service marks, registered trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of their respective owners.
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher
- Will the Mac OS Now Be Offered by Dell?
- UK Targeted for Trojan Attacks
- MAX 2006: Tracks Announced
- BT's "Fixed-Mobile" Phone Gives Callers the Best of Both Worlds
- MetaSolv to Host Provisioning Symposium in London