|By Marketwired .||
|January 26, 2013 05:00 AM EST||
TORONTO, ONTARIO -- (Marketwire) -- 01/26/13 -- Whoever is elected to be the new Premier of Ontario will have to face the largest protest of the party's eight years in government.
"The Liberals have tried to pretend that their only opposition is from school teachers, but nothing could be further from the truth. Saturday's rally will be as broad and diverse as the province," said OFL President Sid Ryan. "The Liberals have betrayed their supporters and alienated voters by pursuing an aggressive austerity agenda of deep cuts to jobs and social programs that are vital to every community. They have shuttered our legislature and shelved our democratic rights. They have put the province in turmoil."
In total, 131 buses traveling from every corner of the province are expected to join thousands of protesters who will be thronging to the rally by foot, transit and car. More than 100 community groups and labour unions are expected to converge for a massive protest at 1:00 pm on Saturday, during the Ontario Liberal Leadership Convention.
"This rally won't simply be education workers and labour unions, it will draw thousands of students, parents, seniors, environmentalists, Aboriginal people, anti-poverty activists and everyone in between," said Ryan. "The new Premier will see the many faces of their opposition - from now and into the next election."
EVENT: Rally for Rights and Democracy, followed by march to Ontario Liberal Convention at Maple Leaf Gardens WHERE: Allan Gardens, Toronto (Jarvis St. and Carlton St.) WHEN: 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm on Saturday, January 26, 2013 WEB: http://ofl.ca/index.php/campaigns/democraticrights/
FOLLOW THE RALLY LIVE ON TWITTER: #J26Rally
The Ontario Federation of Labour (OFL) represents 54 unions and one million workers in Ontario. For information, visit www.OFL.ca and follow the OFL on Facebook and Twitter: @OFLabour and follow OFL President Sid Ryan at @SidRyan_OFL.
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher