|By Business Wire||
|January 24, 2013 08:07 AM EST||
Silver Peak Systems today released the second in a six-part video series that features Silver Peak founder and CTO, David Hughes, looking ahead into the key information technology (IT) trends for 2013. In this video, Hughes looks at how virtualization is driving shifts in the roles of IT.
- Watch the David Hughes video: http://blog.silver-peak.com/virtualization-driving-shifts-in-information-technology-roles-video
Hughes underscores how the growth of virtualization will shift responsibilities within IT departments in the near future, and how today, it is already driving organizations to reconsider functions of certain roles.
“You can already see it happening today where functions that were once the sole domain of a network admin are becoming part of the virtual administrator or virtual system manager’s role,” says Hughes.
Hughes goes on to say there is going to be a degree of cross-training as well a “blurring of the boundaries that exist between silos” pointing to the network, application and storage silos most companies employ today.
Due to the shift in roles and blurring of functional boundaries, Hughes also provides IT professionals with advice for preparing their careers in light of these changes.
Each video in the series examines areas of IT and networking that Hughes feels will be accentuated during the coming year. The first video in the series featured Hughes’ thoughts on the hype and reality of software defined networking (SDN).
- Read the WAN Speak blog
- Follow @SilverPeak on Twitter
- Watch Silver Peak videos on YouTube
- Connect with Silver Peak on LinkedIn
About Dr. David Hughes
Dr. David Hughes is founder and CTO of Silver Peak Systems. He started Silver Peak in 2004 after a year as an Entrepreneur in Residence at Benchmark Capital. David holds fifteen patents covering packet scheduling, routing and control algorithms. He earned his PhD in electrical and computer engineering from Wollongong University, Australia, and holds a bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering from Auckland University in New Zealand.
About Silver Peak Systems
Silver Peak software accelerates data between data centers, branch offices and the cloud. The company’s software-defined acceleration solves network quality, capacity and distance challenges to provide fast and reliable access to data anywhere in the world. Leveraging its leadership in data center class wide area network (WAN) optimization, Silver Peak is a key enabler for strategic IT projects like virtualization, big data and disaster recovery. Download Silver Peak software today at silver-peak.com/marketplace.
Note: Silver Peak Systems and the Silver Peak logo are trademarks of Silver Peak Systems, Inc. All other trademarks, service marks, registered trademarks, or registered service marks are the property of their respective owners.
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher
- Will the Mac OS Now Be Offered by Dell?
- UK Targeted for Trojan Attacks
- MAX 2006: Tracks Announced
- BT's "Fixed-Mobile" Phone Gives Callers the Best of Both Worlds
- MetaSolv to Host Provisioning Symposium in London