|By Business Wire||
|January 23, 2013 07:30 PM EST||
Samsung Display Co., Ltd., a global leader in display panel technologies and products, announced today that it has exceeded 300 million panels in cumulative OLED (Organic Light Emitting Diode) panel production since mass production began in January 2007.
Piling all 300 million Samsung OLED panels on top of one another would equal more than 68 times the height of Mt. Everest. That volume averages out to having produced more than 470,000 panels a day, or 5.4 panels a second.
While it took Samsung Display four and a half years to reach the initial 100 million production mark for OLED panels, the next 100 million units were produced in just eleven months, and the last 100 million units were produced in only seven months.
Samsung Display held a ceremony to commemorate the 300 million production milestone today at Samsung Display City located in Asan city, Chungcheongnam-do, Korea, which was attended by its president and more than 300 other employees.
Kinam Kim, the president and CEO of Samsung Display, said at the ceremony, "After six years of nearly constant production, we have achieved a monumental milestone in producing 300 million panels, which represents the vast majority of OLED panels produced during that time." He added, "Samsung Display will accelerate its leadership in OLED production by introducing the next generation OLED technology, including large-sized TV panels and flexible displays."
Samsung Display has 98 percent market share in the OLED panel market. Its OLED technology is considered the premium technology for the next generation of displays due to OLED’s high color gamut, more vivid and natural images than conventional display technologies, and optimized features for future displays including flexible and transparent display technologies.
Since Samsung Display mass produced the world's first OLED panels in 2007, its OLED displays have been used in smartphones, tablet PCs and digital cameras.
About Samsung Display Co., Ltd.
Samsung Display Co., Ltd. is a global leader in display panel technology and products. Employing approximately 39,000 people at seven production facilities and nine sales offices worldwide, Samsung Display specializes in high-quality displays for consumer, mobile, IT and industrial usage, including those featuring OLED (organic light emitting diode) and LCD technologies. As a total solution provider, Samsung Display strives to advance the future with next-generation technologies featuring ultra-thin, energy-efficient, flexible and transparent displays. For more information, please visit www.samsungdisplay.com.
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher
- Will the Mac OS Now Be Offered by Dell?
- UK Targeted for Trojan Attacks
- MAX 2006: Tracks Announced
- BT's "Fixed-Mobile" Phone Gives Callers the Best of Both Worlds
- MetaSolv to Host Provisioning Symposium in London