|By PR Newswire||
|January 23, 2013 05:39 PM EST||
OSLO, Norway, January 23, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
This year is the 150th anniversary of Edvard Munch's birth. Munch (1863-1944) is one of modernism's pioneers. The anniversary year will be celebrated with the largest ever Munch exhibition in Oslo, as well as a range of cultural events in Norway and other countries to celebrate Munch and his art.
"Events are now finally starting," says Stein Olav Henrichsen, Director of the Munch Museum. "We shall first and foremost celebrate Edvard Munch, but we also want to increase knowledge, curiosity and enthusiasm for his life and art locally, nationally and internationally."
The highlight of the celebration will be the "Munch 150" anniversary exhibition, which will be on display in Oslo at the National Gallery and Munch Museum from 2 June to 13 October 2013. With over 250 works, "Munch 150" will be the most comprehensive presentation of Munch's art ever to be displayed. The exhibition includes a large number of the artist's foremost works, as well as lesser-known works, from both public and private collections.
In addition, the anniversary programme offers a rich selection of exhibitions, research conferences, film productions, concerts, theatrical productions, walks in the artist's footsteps, book releases and dedicated events for children and young people.
One of Munch's key works, "Self-portrait with cigarette", is also being sent on tour. This unique travelling exhibition, "Munch on Tour", will visit a total of seven exhibition sites in Norway.
"We hope that the anniversary will make Edvard Munch's art even more accessible, and strengthen awareness of his great significance and position within our international cultural heritage," says Audun Eckhoff, Director of the National Museum.
The anniversary has been jointly arranged by the National Museum of Art, Architecture and Design and the Munch Museum, in collaboration with a number of private and public organisations.
- The Munch anniversary comprises a total of 120 projects within Norway and across the world
- Officially opened on 23 January by H.M King Harald V, patron of Munch 150
- The "Munch on Tour" exhibition features one of Munch's main works, sent on tour from the north to south of Norway
- Anniversary exhibition in Oslo from 2 June to 13 October in both the National Gallery and the Munch Museum
- Four films, 18 books, theatrical productions, concerts, conferences and more
Jean-Yves Gallardo, Director of Communications, National Museum, firstname.lastname@example.org.
SOURCE Nasjonalmuseet (The National Museum, Norway)
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher