|By PR Newswire||
|January 22, 2013 08:29 PM EST||
MANHATTAN BEACH, Calif., Jan. 22, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The Pancreatic Cancer Action Network is pleased to announce that today Celgene Corporation (Celgene) reported that the combination of its chemotherapeutic drug ABRAXANE® with gemcitabine improved overall survival in patients with metastatic pancreatic cancer by nearly two months (8.5 months vs. 6.7 months) when compared with gemcitabine alone. According to Celgene, this combination also demonstrated a 59 percent increase in one-year survival compared to patients receiving gemcitabine alone.
"The positive results of this trial indicate another step forward in the treatment of this insidious disease where historically few effective treatment options have existed. This success also illustrates that clinical trials can give pancreatic cancer patients access to state-of-the art treatments that may be their best option. We are pleased that patients will have another choice when making treatment decisions," stated Julie Fleshman, president and CEO of the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network. "Further, this positive news brings us one step closer to doubling the survival rate of pancreatic cancer by 2020."
The phase III study included 861 metastatic pancreatic cancer patients from around the world. Celgene plans to submit their findings to the FDA for approval of ABRAXANE in pancreatic cancer. ABRAXANE was previously approved for breast cancer in 2005 and in October 2012 was approved for a type of lung cancer. It is a form of the chemotherapy drug paclitaxel that is modified by the addition of a human protein called albumin.
The Pancreatic Cancer Action Network encourages all patients to consider clinical trials when exploring treatment options. The organization has a comprehensive up-to-date database of all approved pancreatic cancer-specific clinical trials taking place nationwide and can do a customized eligibility search for patients through our Patient and Liaison Services program.
For more information about the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network and clinical trials visit www.pancan.org.
About the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network
The Pancreatic Cancer Action Network is the national organization creating hope in a comprehensive way through research, patient support, community outreach and advocacy for a cure. The organization is leading the way to increase the survival rate for people diagnosed with this devastating disease through a bold initiative — The Vision of Progress: Double the Pancreatic Cancer Survival Rate by 2020. Together, we can know, fight and end pancreatic cancer by intensifying our efforts to heighten awareness, raise funds for comprehensive private research, and advocate for dedicated federal research to advance early diagnostics, better treatments and increase chances of survival.
For information on the listed expert, click appropriate link.
SOURCE Pancreatic Cancer Action Network
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher
- Will the Mac OS Now Be Offered by Dell?
- UK Targeted for Trojan Attacks
- MAX 2006: Tracks Announced
- BT's "Fixed-Mobile" Phone Gives Callers the Best of Both Worlds
- MetaSolv to Host Provisioning Symposium in London