|By PR Newswire||
|January 22, 2013 10:41 AM EST||
BASKING RIDGE, N.J., Jan. 22, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Verizon continues its commitment to support those affected by Hurricane Sandy in the hardest-hit areas of New Jersey and New York by awarding a total of $200,000 in grants to several nonprofit community organizations. Shortly after Hurricane Sandy, Verizon pledged $1 million to support relief efforts. To date, Verizon employees, Verizon Wireless customers and the Verizon Foundation have pledged more than $6.2 million to assist with relief and rebuilding efforts. The following organizations will receive grants:
- Community Food Bank of New Jersey, Southern Branch
- Habitat for Humanity (Essex, Union, Ocean Counties)
- Atlantic City Rescue Mission
- Food Bank of Monmouth & Ocean Counties
- Big Brothers/Big Sisters of Ocean County
- Mayor McCormac Charity Fund (Woodbridge Township, NJ)
- United Way of Monmouth County
- Perth Amboy's Puerto Rican Association for Human Development
- Metropolitan Council on Jewish Poverty (New York, NY)
- United Teachers Federation (New York, NY)
- Stephen Siller Tunnel to Towers Foundation (Staten Island, NY)
- City Harvest Food Bank (New York, NY)
- Island Harvest Food Bank (Nassau, Suffolk Counties)
- The Salvation Army of Long Island
- United Way of Westchester
- Rockland Community Foundation
- Catholic Charities (Brooklyn/Queens, NY)
- United Way of Long Island
"Recovery is the most difficult part of dealing with a natural disaster, and these additional Verizon Foundation grants will support the important work these organizations do in helping communities recover and rebuild in New Jersey and New York," said Mario Turco, president of the Philadelphia Tri-State Region for Verizon Wireless, which includes central and southern New Jersey.
In the wake of the storm, Verizon worked around the clock to ensure the network stayed strong. More than a dozen Verizon Wireless mobile assets, including 40-foot mobile communications trailers called Wireless Emergency Communication Centers (WECCs), were staged throughout the New York metro and Philadelphia tri-state regions to help Hurricane Sandy survivors recharge their phones, reconnect with loved ones and apply online for Federal Emergency Management Agency disaster recovery grants.
Verizon Wireless customers can still make a $10 donation to the American Red Cross by texting REDCROSS to 90999, and those who would like to give more can donate up to $50 via text.
Verizon Wireless encourages customers to visit the Verizon Wireless Emergency Preparedness site to find tips and information to help them stay connected before, during and after an emergency.
The Verizon Foundation is focused on accelerating social change by using the company's innovative technology to help solve pressing problems in education, health care and energy management. Since 2000, the Verizon Foundation has invested more than half a billion dollars to improve the communities where Verizon employees work and live. Verizon's employees are generous with their donations and their time, having logged more than 6.2 million hours of service to make a positive difference in their communities. For more information about Verizon's philanthropic work, visit www.verizonfoundation.org; or for regular updates, visit the Foundation on Facebook (www.facebook.com/verizonfoundation) and Twitter (www.twitter.com/verizongiving).
About Verizon Communications
Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE, Nasdaq: VZ), headquartered in New York, is a global leader in delivering broadband and other wireless and wireline communications services to consumer, business, government and wholesale customers. Verizon Wireless operates America's most reliable wireless network, with nearly 96 million retail customers nationwide. Verizon also provides converged communications, information and entertainment services over America's most advanced fiber-optic network, and delivers integrated business solutions to customers in more than 150 countries, including all of the Fortune 500. A Dow 30 company with $111 billion in 2011 revenues, Verizon employs a diverse workforce of 184,500. For more information, visit www.verizon.com.
SOURCE Verizon Wireless
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher
- Will the Mac OS Now Be Offered by Dell?
- UK Targeted for Trojan Attacks