|By Marketwired .||
|January 18, 2013 03:28 PM EST||
BROOKS, ALBERTA -- (Marketwire) -- 01/18/13 -- Today, on behalf of the Honourable Vic Toews, Minister of Public Safety, LaVar Payne, Member of Parliament for Medicine Hat, announced that support has been extended for the crime prevention program, Connections Leadership and Resiliency Project, run by the SPEC Association for Children and Families.
"I am very proud to announce additional funding for this worthy project that helps at-risk high school and junior high school students in Alberta," said MP Payne. "This is yet another example of how our Government is working to prevent crime and improve the safety of our communities."
Operating in Brooks, Alberta, the Connections Leadership and Resiliency Project works with youth who are involved in, or at risk of becoming involved in, drug-related crimes. Through a variety of programs, including leadership, problem-solving and substance abuse workshops, adventure activities and volunteer opportunities, the project helps youth make smart choices and steer clear of drugs and crime.
The Government of Canada is providing $284,355 to extend this project for an additional six months, bringing total funding to more than $1.8 million. Continued support for this project demonstrates the Government's commitment to preventing crime, and making our streets and communities safer places to live, work, and raise our families.
In fall 2012, the Government of Canada also committed up to $10 million toward new crime prevention projects under the National Crime Prevention Strategy. These projects will aim to prevent violence among at-risk youth, criminal involvement among urban Aboriginal children and youth, and school-based bullying.
From April 2011 to March 2012, the Government funded 135 community-based crime prevention programs through the National Crime Prevention Strategy, in which more than 17,000 at-risk youth participated. Thirteen of those programs were located in Alberta.
For more information, please visit the website www.publicsafety.gc.ca.
Follow Public Safety Canada (@Safety_Canada) on Twitter.
Director of Communications
Office of the Minister of Public Safety
Public Safety Canada
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher
- Will the Mac OS Now Be Offered by Dell?
- UK Targeted for Trojan Attacks