|By PR Newswire||
|January 18, 2013 05:17 AM EST||
LONDON, January 18, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
Business Disability Forum announced the launch of a new guide for line managers on how to manage mental health at work on Blue Monday, considered the most depressing day of the year. One in four of us will have some kind of mental health problem this year but talking about it at work is still taboo.
According to a study in The Lancet in October 2012, 47% of people with depression anticipated being discriminated against in finding or keeping a job and 79% said that they had been discriminated against. It should be no surprise then that 71% said that they actively hide their depression from other people. Business Disability Forum is publishing its guide so managers and employees have the tools they need to manage mental health at work.
Available from 01 February, the new guide, 'Mental health at work' sponsored by the Environment Agency dispels the myths about mental health in the workplace and provides practical advice for line managers. Business Disability Forum conducted extensive research with its members to produce the best practice guide, and it contains several real-life case studies.
Bela Gor, Legal Director at Business Disability Forum and author of the new guide said, "Line managers tell us that they don't know how best to support a colleague with a mental health condition, in fact it accounts for around 20% of calls to our advice service. 'Mental health at work' is full of myth-busting and practical tips on how to get it right. Our publication will challenge you first to look at your own attitudes and assumptions about people who have mental health issues. It will also help you to look after your own mental well-being."
Notes to editors
- Business Disability Forum's launch event for 'Mental health at work' will be on 13 February 2013, 2:00pm - 6:00pm, Churchill War Rooms, London. Journalists wishing to attend the event are very welcome- to book your place please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- A complimentary copy of 'Mental health at work' is available on request, please contact email@example.com
- The Business Disability Forum website is: http://www.businessdisabilityforum.org.uk
- Business Disability Forum represents some 400 organisations that employ 20% of the UK workforce. Here is a short video about the forum: http://businessdisabilityforum.org.uk/why-bother/the-evidence
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher