|By PR Newswire||
|January 17, 2013 01:36 PM EST||
SAN FRANCISCO, Jan. 17, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Oral Rehydration Therapy saves millions of lives annually, and could save many more, according to Drip Drop founder Eduardo Dolhun M.D. Dr. Dolhun delivered his presentation at "Game Changers," TEDx event in Overland Park, Kansas.
"The problem of how to save two million children a year has already been solved," began Dr. Dolhun to a crowd of 100, "and it was solved over 30 years ago."
Yet to this day, more children under the age of 5 die every year from diarrhea and dehydration than from AIDS, malaria, and tuberculosis combined. In most cases, these deaths are preventable with a simple combination of sugars and salts known as Oral Rehydration Solutions (ORS).
First implemented by the World Health Organization, Oral Rehydration Solutions (ORS) are used primarily to recover water and electrolyte losses due to vomiting, diarrhea, and heat illnesses and profuse sweating.
"Few things we do in medicine are this effective and this predictably reliable," said Dr. Dolhun. "If a patient is swallowing, ORS is faster, safer, cheaper, and easier to administer than an IV." Drip Drop believes that the further advancement of ORS can help reduce costs and improve care for millions worldwide.
Despite being a proven treatment for decades, ORS is still not part of standard medical practice in the United States. "We have MRI machines, gene therapy, personalized medicine, all the latest technology. But this simple technology, born in Dakha, Bangladesh, has not made it to our best medical schools."
Dr. Dolhun's presentation drew upon years of humanitarian work treating patients in Latin America, the Middle East, and the United States. Along with Drip Drop Inc. and Doctors Outreach Clinics, Dr. Dolhun will return to Haiti on a relief mission in March 2013.
Video the presentation is now available for online viewing. To watch the TED Talk, please visit:
For more information about Drip Drop in relief work, please contact Press@DripDropORS.com.
SOURCE Drip Drop Inc.
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher