|By Marketwired .||
|January 14, 2013 10:16 PM EST||
OTTAWA, ONTARIO -- (Marketwire) -- 01/15/13 -- The Honourable Peter MacKay, Minister of National Defence, visited the North American Aerospace Defence Command Headquarters (NORAD) at Peterson Air Force Base in Colorado today.
Minister MacKay met with General Charles Jacoby, Jr., Commander NORAD and U.S. Northern Command, and other senior commanders to discuss aerospace defence. This visit also provided the opportunity for the Minister to visit with the Canadian Armed Forces' members serving with NORAD in Colorado Springs.
"Every day, Canadians work side-by-side with their American counterparts as partners promoting our collective security. NORAD is an example of the strong, enduring defence relationship we have with the United States," said Minister MacKay. "I am proud of the men and women of the Canadian Armed Forces who are serving here in Colorado and contributing to the on-going effort to ensure the sovereignty of the air and maritime environments of Canada and the U.S."
The discussions focused on aerospace defence and Canada-U.S. defence cooperation in the Western Hemisphere.
"NORAD continues to evolve to meet the demands of a changing world," said General Jacoby. "Through bi-national cooperation like the discussions that took place today, NORAD maintains its important role in the defence of North America both now and in the future. We have the watch."
NORAD is a bi-national United States and Canadian organization charged with the missions of aerospace warning and aerospace control for North America, as well as monitoring our respective maritime regions.
Notes to editor / news director:
For more information on NORAD please visit http://www.norad.mil/about/index.html and http://www.rcaf-arc.forces.gc.ca/v2/page-eng.asp?id=14
For more information on the Canada/U.S. defence relationship please visit http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/news-nouvelles/news-nouvelles-eng.asp?id=4073
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher