|By PR Newswire||
|January 14, 2013 09:01 AM EST||
HOPKINTON, Mass., Jan. 14, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
- EMC today announced significant hardware and software updates to its flagship EMC VMAX Family.
- EMC VMAX 10K is enhanced for mission-critical applications in virtualized environments, delivering enterprises of all sizes with up-to 2X more power.
- VMAX Enginuity update enhances VMAX Family.
- Join the EMC Community Network online Webcast today at 11 a.m. EST.
EMC Corporation (NYSE:EMC) today announced that it has updated its market-leading EMC® VMAX® Family, making it more powerful, smarter, more trusted, and more efficient for mission-critical applications in VMware virtualized environments for enterprises of all sizes. The EMC VMAX 10K (entry product to the VMAX Family) is now the highest-performing of its class in the industry—and is up to 2X more powerful than its predecessor. EMC also introduced a wave of new features to the EMC VMAX Family (10K, 20K and 40K) through significant updates to VMAX Enginuity™ software. As customers continue to transform their IT environments, and deploy virtualized Hybrid Clouds, they must tackle consolidation of their most mission-critical applications. Customers across the globe rank EMC as the #1 storage choice for mission-critical environments according to a study from IDC¹. These enhancements enable customers to implement virtualization and cloud more easily and efficiently than before.
To view the multimedia version of this news release go to http://www.emc.com/about/news/press/2013/20130114-01.htm
These VMAX 10K technology enhancements make it easier for small to mid-size enterprises to enjoy the powerful capabilities of the VMAX family. It is for this reason that in the third quarter of 2012 30% of VMAX 10K sales were customers new to the EMC VMAX Family.
In 2009, EMC first introduced the VMAX Family and the revolutionary Virtual Matrix Architecture™—purpose-built storage for the virtual data center that delivers unprecedented levels of scalability, efficiency, data integrity, availability and performance. We're building upon that foundation with today's enhancements to the VMAX 10K so that customers benefit from ultra-fast application performance and faster CPUs. The VMAX 10K also offers new features previously only available on the VMAX 20K and VMAX 40K.
VMAX 10K-specific Enhancements
- Increased performance for critical applications in virtualized environments—achieving up to 100% faster performance—with support for faster CPUs with 50% more cores. This enables applications like Oracle OLTP in VMware environments to run up to 90% faster.
- Enhanced protection against data theft and improved compliance in regulated industries (e.g. government and healthcare) with the Data At Rest Encryption (D@RE) feature, which encrypts all data on all drive types without performance penalty. (Already offered on the VMAX 20K and VMAX 40K).
- Maximizes existing storage investments with an additional tier of storage—including non-EMC storage arrays—with new support for Federated Tiered Storage feature capability—achieves up-to a 15% TCO savings. (Already offered on the VMAX 20K and VMAX 40K).
- More efficiency with new support for denser 2.5" drives, enabling 2X more usable drives per tile, which also reduces weight and power consumption on both the VMAX 10K and VMAX 40K by 1/3 compared to 3.5" drives.
VMAX Family Enhancements
- Better management and performance with new Host I/O Limits feature for the VMAX Family, making performance more predictable and easier to manage in consolidation and multi-tenancy environments. Now customers can choose how many IOPS or how much bandwidth to give each application or user. This capability is critical in cloud environments, or when consolidating many critical applications.
- Leading performance for VMware vSphere® 5 environments breaking the 2 million IOPS barrier (with VMAX 40K).
- Simplified management with EMC Unisphere for the VMAX Family now includes enhanced integration with the VMware platform, VFCache, Windows 2012, and the ability to manage all major features of VMAX.
- More efficiency with FAST VP through support for an industry-leading 4 tiers and cold data compression, with up to a 2:1 capacity savings on inactive data. In addition, even more cost and floor space savings can be achieved using 3TB drives and mixed 2.5"/3.5" DAEs with FAST VP.
Mr. Sun Zhiguang, Manager of Operation and Maintenance Department in Business Support Center, China Mobile Group, Hebei Company Limited (Hebei MCC)
"Hebei MCC is part of China Mobile Group, which offers the world's largest mobile network to the world's largest mobile customer base. As the sixth largest subsidiary of the China Mobile Group, Hebei MCC serves more than 50 million customers in the Hebei province of China. Hebei MCC relies on EMC VMAX 10K to store, manage and protect customer information from our mission-critical billing application. With these new enhancements to the VMAX 10K, we are achieving new levels of performance. In addition, the new features in Enginuity enable Hebei MCC to provide even better service to customers across China."
Brian Carpenter, Vice President of IT, Heritage Auctions
"As the largest collectibles auctioneer and third largest auction house in the world, Heritage Auctions relies on VMAX 10K storage for our mission-critical SQL Server-based website and auction applications. Our infrastructure is now over 90% virtualized on the VMware platform. When we first purchased our VMAX 10K it came bundled with everything one would expect in a virtualization-optimized tier-one solution. With these new updates, EMC is delivering us the operational headroom to effectively handle a 5X spike in performance and demand—with zero impact on our delivery of data to customers. In addition, we plan to use the FTS feature, to maximize our benefit from our legacy storage arrays."
Mike Chrystal, Senior Technical Specialist, Storage & Servers, St. Charles Health System, Inc.
"St. Charles Health System is the primary health care provider for patients living in and around Central Oregon. Our number one concern is the welfare of our patients. To deliver the absolute best patient care—and ensure their information is both protected and available—we rely on EMC backup and recovery solutions and VMAX 10K storage to store, manage and protect our VMware vSphere™ 5.0 virtualized environment. This includes mission critical Oracle and Microsoft applications, as well as our electronic medical records (with McKesson) and ambulatory care system (with All Scripts) data. With these new enhancements to the VMAX 10K for blazing performance and Enginuity update for new levels of efficiency and management, we have even more confidence and trust that our patients' information will be safe and readily accessible."
Chris Wetzel, Solution Line Leader for Dedicated Storage & Data Preservation, Rackspace
"Rackspace customers demand the highest levels of performance and availability. We're focused on delivering bulletproof reliability and great customer service—that's why we use VMAX as the foundation for one of our most vital storage solutions, Shared SAN. We plan to use EMC's new performance control feature, part of Enginuity, to determine how much resource (IOPS, bandwidth etc.), to give each user. This is critical in shared environments or when you're consolidating many applications. With VMAX, we believe we deliver a more reliable infrastructure to support the needs of our customers."
Industry Analyst Quote:
Stuart Miniman, Senior Analyst, Wikibon
"The latest enhancements to VMware vSphere, coupled with storage innovations like this latest version of VMAX 10K and updates to EMC's Enginuity software, are delivering customers the performance, reliability and operational efficiency needed in their Tier-1 storage environments. With these types of advancements, the technical barriers of virtualizing mission critical applications are eliminated. In addition to virtualization, customers are also citing deploying automation, such as tiering, at the top of their priority list. With EMC FTS technology, customers now have more flexibility to optimize their existing storage infrastructure by adding another tier of storage."
Brian Gallagher, President, Enterprise Storage Division, EMC
"The world's most sensitive and mission-critical information is stored, managed and protected by EMC. Today we're delivering another wave of innovation, enabling enterprises of all sizes to access the value of the VMAX Family's entry-level VMAX 10K. We have thousands of engineers dedicated to inventing new ways for our customers to meet the demands of virtual data centers. As customers continue down their paths to Hybrid Clouds and leveraging Big Data to transform their businesses, we will continue to partner with customers and innovate to accelerate their journey."
Availability and Services
EMC Global Services enables customers to accelerate their VMAX infrastructure deployments by creating strategies to transform from physical to virtual environments. Leveraging EMC technology and virtual storage integration services, VMAX customers can take full advantage of VMware integration features in their new VMAX infrastructure. This includes provisioning storage directly through vCenter and optimizing load balancing at the VM level to better support the demands of virtual computing, and to optimize both new and existing EMC infrastructure for the cloud. All technologies announced today are currently shipping and available worldwide through EMC and EMC channel partners.
- Watch Videos About VMAX Innovation and New VMAX Features
- Read the IDC Storage Users Demand Study: EMC #1 Choice for Mission Critical Apps
- Read Chuck's Blog
- Read About the VMAX Family, VMAX 10K and Enginuity
- Read Papers About VMAX in Citrix and SAP Environments
- Connect with EMC via Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, and LinkedIn
EMC Corporation is a global leader in enabling businesses and service providers to transform their operations and deliver IT as a service. Fundamental to this transformation is cloud computing. Through innovative products and services, EMC accelerates the journey to cloud computing, helping IT departments to store, manage, protect and analyze their most valuable asset — information — in a more agile, trusted and cost-efficient way. Additional information about EMC can be found at www.EMC.com.
1 IDC, "IDC's Storage Users Demand Survey 2011 - Fall Edition: Customers Still Want Choice, #234651"
EMC, VMAX, Enginuity, and Virtual Matrix Architecture are either registered trademarks or trademarks of EMC Corporation in the United States and other countries. VMware and VMware vSphere are registered trademarks of VMware, Inc. in the United States and other jurisdictions. All other trademarks used herein are the property of their respective owners.
SOURCE EMC Corporation
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher