|By PR Newswire||
|January 14, 2013 06:30 AM EST||
DETROIT, Jan. 14, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Johnson Controls, Inc., today announced it has sold more than 18 million Absorbent Glass Mat (AGM) batteries since the technology launched in 2001, topping 4.5 million annually in Europe.
AGM is the most advanced lead-acid battery and is ideal for Start-Stop systems, which help improve fuel economy in vehicles by 5 to 10 percent.
Over the next five years, Start-Stop vehicles with Johnson Controls' AGM batteries will reduce CO2 emissions by 12.6 million tons and save more than 1.2 billion gallons of fuel.
"As the world's leading supplier of AGM batteries, Johnson Controls is committed to supplying our customers with the most advanced technology," said Ray Shemanski, vice president and general manager of the Original Equipment Group for Johnson Controls Power Solutions. "Our AGM batteries have longer life and provide outstanding performance for vehicles with the most sophisticated power demands, including Start-Stop applications."
Start-Stop vehicle technology has taken off in Europe, with more than 70 percent of the new car build expected to include Start-Stop by 2017, and the global Start-Stop market for new vehicles reaching 35 million annually in that same timeframe. According to recent consumer research commissioned by Johnson Controls, 90 percent of Start-Stop vehicle owners in Europe say they are very satisfied and likely to purchase such a vehicle again.
"Start-Stop vehicles represent a major step forward in the mass commercialization of more energy efficient vehicles," said Shemanski. "To support this growth, Johnson Controls is investing $520 million globally to increase AGM production capacity to support production programs in the U.S., Europe and China."
In addition to producing AGM batteries for global automakers, Johnson Controls supplies the European Aftermarket through its VARTA® brand. Boasting three times the cycling durability of a conventional technology battery, and able to deliver an unprecedented energy throughput even in the most demanding conditions, the VARTA® AGM battery outperforms all others offering a significantly increased service life.
Other Johnson Controls AGM battery technology characteristics include:
- Glass mat separator consistently maintains the electrolyte around the positive plate to extend life
- Tight-fitting construction exerts uniform, high-pressure on the plates in the battery and reduces the effects of vibration
- Sealed, valve-regulated battery delivers extreme cycle life and high energy throughput
Images can be downloaded from our online image gallery.
About Johnson Controls
Johnson Controls is a global diversified technology and industrial leader serving customers in more than 150 countries. Our 170,000 employees create quality products, services and solutions to optimize energy and operational efficiencies of buildings; lead-acid automotive batteries and advanced batteries for hybrid and electric vehicles; and interior systems for automobiles. Our commitment to sustainability dates back to our roots in 1885, with the invention of the first electric room thermostat. Through our growth strategies and by increasing market share we are committed to delivering value to shareholders and making our customers successful. In 2011, Corporate Responsibility Magazine recognized Johnson Controls as the #1 company in its annual "100 Best Corporate Citizens" list. For additional information, please visit http://www.johnsoncontrols.com.
About Johnson Controls Power Solutions
Johnson Controls Power Solutions is the global leader in lead-acid automotive batteries and advanced batteries for Start-Stop, hybrid and electric vehicles. Our 50 manufacturing, recycling and distribution centers supply more than one-third of the world's lead-acid batteries to major automakers and aftermarket retailers. Through our innovations we are building the advanced battery industry for hybrid and electric vehicles. We were the first company in the world to produce lithium-ion batteries for mass-production hybrid vehicles. Our commitment to sustainability is evidenced by our world-class technology, manufacturing and recycling capabilities.
SOURCE Johnson Controls, Inc.
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher
- Will the Mac OS Now Be Offered by Dell?
- UK Targeted for Trojan Attacks
- MAX 2006: Tracks Announced
- BT's "Fixed-Mobile" Phone Gives Callers the Best of Both Worlds
- MetaSolv to Host Provisioning Symposium in London