|By Marketwired .||
|January 11, 2013 11:30 AM EST||
ALEXANDRIA, VA -- (Marketwire) -- 01/11/13 -- The following statement can be attributed to National PTA® President Betsy Landers:
National PTA is deeply saddened to hear of a second school shooting only weeks following the tragedy in Newtown, Conn. The Association extends its sympathies to the students and families affected by the shooting yesterday morning at Taft Union High School in Taft, Calif.
National PTA has a strong history of advocating for the safety of children in schools, including gun violence prevention. As it relates to this issue, the top three priorities of the National PTA are securing:
- Universal background checks for the sale and possession of firearms;
- A ban on non-sporting ammunition in high-capacity magazines; and
- The reenactment and expansion of an effective federal ban on the sale and possession of military-style assault weapons.
National PTA is hopeful that these two recent tragedies will persuade the nation -- especially parents, teachers, school officials, community leaders, and Congress -- to make meaningful changes to protect all children and ensure a safe learning environment.
To assist students, families, schools and PTAs coping with school violence, National PTA has resources available for download at PTA.org/SchoolViolence.
About National PTA
National PTA® comprises millions of families, students, teachers, administrators, and business and community leaders devoted to the educational success of children and the promotion of parent involvement in schools. PTA is a registered 501(c)(3) nonprofit association that prides itself on being a powerful voice for all children, a relevant resource for families and communities, and a strong advocate for public education. Membership in PTA is open to anyone who wants to be involved and make a difference for the education, health, and welfare of children and youth.
To view this release in a media-rich format, go to: http://www.pwrnewmedia.com/2013/national_pta/taft_school_shooting/
Cell: (571) 329-9352
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher
- Will the Mac OS Now Be Offered by Dell?
- UK Targeted for Trojan Attacks