|By Marketwired .||
|January 10, 2013 08:19 PM EST||
OTTAWA, ONTARIO -- (Marketwire) -- 01/11/13 -- The Honourable Joe Oliver, Canada's Minister of Natural Resources, today released the following statement in response to Kinder Morgan's announcement of the proposed Trans Mountain Pipeline Expansion Project.
"Our government welcomes proposals that would - subject to proper regulatory review - create jobs and generate revenues for critical social programs like health care and education," said Minister Oliver. "We know that 99 percent of Canada's oil exports are transported to the United States, whose need for imported oil will decline sharply in the coming years. Canada must therefore develop the capacity to transport our energy to countries that will need it, in an environmentally responsible way."
"Our government is keeping taxes low and opening up new markets which helps make natural resources projects viable and supports prosperity across Canada. In British Columbia alone, resource industries support 100,000 direct jobs. They also make up 13 percent of its economy, and account for 80 percent of British Columbia's exports."
Minister Oliver noted that the proposed Kinder Morgan Trans Mountain Pipeline Expansion Project is subject to independent, science-based regulatory review and can only proceed if it meets strict environmental safety standards. Strengthened environmental protections introduced by our government already include a mandatory requirement for double-hulled tankers, further increasing the number of inspections of federally-regulated pipelines by 50%, doubling the amount of annual audits, mandatory pilotage of vessels and increasing navigational tools and that work continues.
NRCan's news releases and backgrounders are available at www.nrcan.gc.ca/media.
Natural Resources Canada, Ottawa
The general public may contact:
Mon.-Fri., 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. EST
(teletype for the hearing-impaired)
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher
- Will the Mac OS Now Be Offered by Dell?
- UK Targeted for Trojan Attacks