|By PR Newswire||
|January 9, 2013 11:19 AM EST||
TAMPA, Fla., Jan. 9, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Shriners Hospitals for Children®, a nonprofit network of 22 specialized hospitals in the United States, Canada and Mexico, has accepted the single largest donation of United Airlines award miles as part of a 10 million mile charitable giveaway sponsored by the world's largest airline. Shriners Hospitals will use this generous gift to offset transportation costs for certain families needing care from any of the Shriners Hospitals. The health care system provides specialty care to children with orthopedic conditions, burns, spinal cord injuries and cleft lip and palate regardless of a family's ability to pay.
As part of its "10 Million Charity Miles Giveaway," United invited members of the public and its MileagePlus® loyalty program to vote for their favorite of 38 charitable organizations, including Shriners Hospitals for Children, to receive a portion of the 10 million award miles grant. Between Dec. 6 and Dec. 25, 2012, hundreds of thousands of participants identified Shriners Hospitals as a charity of choice, resulting in the largest donation awarded through the contest. The miles Shriners Hospitals received can help provide roundtrip transportation for many potential Shriners Hospitals for Children patients, some of whom may be cared for in United "hub" cities like Houston, Chicago and Los Angeles, just to name a few.
"We're truly touched by United's generosity and by the thousands of contest voters who support our mission of bringing 'love to the rescue' for children in need," said Douglas Maxwell, President and CEO of Shriners Hospitals for Children. "With help from United, it's inspiring to know just how far love can travel – both literally...and figuratively."
MileagePlus program participants can donate air miles at any time by logging into their account on United's MileagePlus website and selecting Shriners Hospitals for Children.
To learn more or to donate to Shriners Hospitals for Children, visit shrinershospitals.org or call 800-241-4438.
About Shriners Hospitals for Children
Shriners Hospitals for Children is changing lives every day through innovative pediatric specialty care, world-class research and outstanding medical education. The 22 facilities in the United States, Canada and Mexico provide advanced care for children with orthopaedic conditions, burns, spinal cord injuries, and cleft lip and palate.
Shriners Hospitals for Children is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization and relies on the generosity of donors. All donations are tax deductible to the fullest extent permitted by law. To learn more about Shriners Hospitals for Children, please visit www.shrinershospitalsforchildren.org.
MSL New York
Shriners Hospitals for Children
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher
- Will the Mac OS Now Be Offered by Dell?
- UK Targeted for Trojan Attacks
- MAX 2006: Tracks Announced
- BT's "Fixed-Mobile" Phone Gives Callers the Best of Both Worlds
- MetaSolv to Host Provisioning Symposium in London