|By PR Newswire||
|January 8, 2013 12:40 PM EST||
MCLEAN, Va., Jan. 8, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Findlay College Prep (Henderson, Nev.) and Montverde (Fla.) continue to hold down the top spots in the USA TODAY High School Sports Super 25 national editorial rankings for boys basketball for the week of January 7, 2013.
The USA TODAY High School Sports Super 25 is now in its 30th year as the most prestigious high school ranking platform in the nation. Gatorade is the Official Fuel of the Super 25 rankings platform, which includes computer rankings of every major high school football, baseball, boys and girls basketball and boys and girls lacrosse team in the nation.
Following a holiday hiatus, the biggest shakeup in the first Super 25 of 2013 comes from then-No. 14 Whitney Young (Chicago), which advanced to No. 3 in this week's rankings. Whitney Young defeated then-No. 4 Chester (Pa.) in the Dec. 18-23 City of Palms Classic tournament, knocking the team to the No. 22 spot in this week's Super 25.
Then-No. 7 Lone Peak (Highland, Utah) also defeated Chester at City of Palms and jumped to the No. 5 position in this week's Super 25, while then-No. 3 Huntington (W. Va.) fell to the No. 4 position following a loss to then-unranked Prime Prep Academy (Dallas), debuting at No. 13 in this week's rankings.
Despite an undefeated in-state record, then No. 12 Southwind Academy (Memphis) fell to the No. 20 position in this week's rankings, following losses at City of Palms to Lone Peak and then-No. 5 Long Beach Poly (Long Beach, Calif.), this week's No. 9 team.
Previously unranked La Lumiere (La Porte, Ind.) debuted on this week's Super 25 in the No. 8 position, thanks to a runner-up finish in the Iolani Classic behind No. 1 Findlay Prep, as well as its defeat of then-No. 6 Oak Hill Academy (Mouth of Wilson, Va.)— the No. 10 team in this week's rankings.
In addition to Prime Prep Academy and La Lumiere, seven other previously unranked teams made their first appearances in this week's Super 25: No. 14 Lake Oswego (Ore.), No. 16 Bishop Montgomery (Torrance, Calif.), No. 17 Midwest City (Okla.), No. 19 St. John Bosco (Bellflower, Calif.), No. 23 Bishop O'Connell (Arlington, Va.), No. 24 Olympic (Charlotte, N.C.) and No. 25 Pershing (Detroit).
Following is the complete listing of this week's USA TODAY High School Sports boys basketball rankings:
USA TODAY High School Sports
High School Boys Basketball Super 25
For Week of January 7, 2013
- Findlay College Prep, Henderson, Nev. (17-0)*
- Montverde (Fla.) Academy (16-0)*
- Whitney Young, Chicago (11-1)
- Huntington (W.Va.) Prep (15-1)*
- Lone Peak, Highland, Utah (10-1)
- Mater Dei, Santa Ana, Calif. (16-0)
- St. Anthony, Jersey City (7-0)
- La Lumiere, La Porte, Ind. (16-2)*
- Long Beach Poly (12-1)
- Oak Hill Academy, Mouth of Wilson, Va. (15-2)*
- Simeon, Chicago (9-2)
- St. Benedict's Prep, Newark (12-0)
- Prime Prep Academy, Dallas (9-0)*
- Lake Oswego, Ore. (13-0)
- DeSoto, Texas (20-1)
- Bishop Montgomery, Torrance, Calif. (16-0)
- Midwest City, Okla. (9-0)
- Pike, Indianapolis (9-0)
- St. John Bosco, Bellflower, Calif. (8-1)
- Southwind Academy, Memphis (11-3)
- West, Iowa City (8-0)
- Chester, Pa. (7-2)
- Bishop O'Connell, Arlington, Va. (12-1)
- Olympic, Charlotte (12-0)
- Pershing, Detroit (7-0)
*Does not compete for a state championship
For more information on the Super 25, visit USA TODAY High School Sports.
The USA TODAY Sports Media Group encompasses all sports initiatives across USA TODAY Sports and Gannett's more than 100 well-known local media brands. It also includes the sports photography service USA TODAY Sports Images, USA TODAY High School Sports and the hundreds of sites within USA TODAY Sports Digital Properties such as thebiglead.com and mixed martial arts site MMAjunkie.com, among others. USA TODAY is owned by Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI).
SOURCE USA TODAY Sports Media Group
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher
- Will the Mac OS Now Be Offered by Dell?
- UK Targeted for Trojan Attacks