|By PR Newswire||
|January 8, 2013 07:17 AM EST||
IRVING, Texas, Jan. 8, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- From craft fairs and street markets to haute couture fashion shows and pop culture, the Michaels trend team scours the globe each year to forecast trends that will inspire new ideas for all kinds of creative DIY projects.
Michaels, North America's largest arts and crafts specialty retailer, uses the latest trends to make sure its shelves are stocked with an exciting, updated product mix and its website is packed with creative new ideas. Here are the newest crafting trends for 2013:
- Nostalgia/vintage: This vintage craft trend harkens back to childhood and invokes images of grandma's house, but interprets them in fresh, new ways using dramatic scale, different colors and unusual applications. Key elements include jumbo pom-poms; chalkboard paint and paper; doilies that are dip-dyed and molded into interesting shapes; lace in many forms and materials; and laser-cut frames for art and home décor. Mason jars come out of the pantry and become colorful, fun lanterns, drinking glasses and vases; and vintage book pages and newsprint are reimagined in banners, paper flowers and home décor surfaces.
- Eco-chic brings nature into crafting with wood grain, natural fibers, rope, paper and cork. Key green/eco craft elements include raw, unfinished wood with an emphasis on the grain and affordable burlap on everything from pillows to spooled ribbon. Nature is imitated with paper-crafted flowers in tissue, recycled newsprint and scrapbooking papers that seem as fresh and new as the real thing.
- Unexpected materials pop up in traditional crafts like wreaths, banners and garlands. Projects include wreaths made of photos, balloons, clothes pins, fabric remnants and more. Banners and garlands are personalized and embellished for all types of life celebrations such as weddings, birthdays and holidays. Embellishments include twine, ribbon and mixed-media elements.
- Personalization continues strong into 2013, with initials and monograms showing up on all kinds of projects. Everyday objects like cell phone cases and shoes become one of a kind with any type of bling or embellishment imaginable.
"From home decorating to celebrations to seasonal projects and beyond, these trends will inspire DIYers throughout the year to try something new and different, or see an old favorite in a new way," said Michaels Trend and Design Director Becki Speakman. "We look forward to seeing how our customers interpret these trends in their own unique ways when they share their projects on our Facebook and Pinterest pages."
Irving, Texas-based Michaels Stores, Inc. is North America's largest specialty retailer of arts, crafts, framing, floral, wall décor and seasonal merchandise for the hobbyist and do-it-yourself home decorator. The company currently owns and operates more than 1,090 Michaels stores in 49 states and Canada, and 128 Aaron Brothers stores, and produces 11 exclusive private brands including Recollections®, Studio Decor®, Bead Landing®, Creatology®, Ashland®, Celebrate It®, Art Minds®, Artist's Loft®, Craft Smart® and Loops & Threads® and Imagin8™. For more information visit www.Michaels.com
Media Contact: Loren Rutledge
SOURCE Michaels Stores
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher