|By PR Newswire||
|January 8, 2013 12:01 AM EST||
WASHINGTON, Jan. 8, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Following is the daily "Profile America" feature from the U.S. Census Bureau:
TUESDAY, JANUARY 8: MONOPOLY RULING
Profile America — Tuesday, January 8th. The nation's telephone service options changed forever on this date 31 years ago when AT&T complied with a Justice Department mandate to give up its local Bell System companies. The action came as the result of what has been termed the most significant antitrust suit since the breakup of Standard Oil in 1911. From the late 19th century, the virtual monopoly of what had come to be known as "Ma Bell" controlled America's telephone equipment and lines. After the breakup, competitive forces have shaped the industry. Of America's nearly 115 million occupied housing units by owners or renters, 112 million, or over 97 percent, have telephone service, either cellular or land-line. You can find more facts about America from the U.S. Census Bureau, online at www.census.gov.
Sources: U.S. Census Bureau, American FactFinder, Selected Housing Characteristics 2011 American Community Survey 1-Year Estimates
Profile America is produced by the Center for New Media and Promotions of the U.S. Census Bureau. These daily features are available as produced segments, ready to air, on a monthly CD or on the Internet at http://www.census.gov (look for "Multimedia Gallery" by the "Newsroom" button).
SOURCE U.S. Census Bureau
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher