|By ACN Newswire||
|January 7, 2013 06:11 AM EST||
Hong Kong, Jan 7, 2013 - (ACN Newswire) - Severe food shortages are likely to occur in Asia by 2030, according to Fan Shenggen, Director General of the Washington-based International Food Policy Research Institute. Mr Fan will attend the Asian Financial Forum (AFF) in Hong Kong, 14-15 January, which will feature a panel discussion on food and agriculture.
"For Asia, I think the shortage will become even more severe over time," said Mr Fan, in a 20 December interview with the Hong Kong Trade Development Council (HKTDC), which is organising the AFF with the Hong Kong SAR Government. Mr Fan added that "climate change will hit both regions very hard and very quickly, and Asia probably will be hit particularly harder than Africa."
He noted rising demand from Asia due to population growth, urbanisation and rising incomes. "The more urbanised, richer people will demand more and better food. So the demand side is a major problem in Asia," he said. Increased investment in agriculture and in food production are "a must," Mr Fan said. See below for a link to the full video interview.
Speakers at the AFF Panel discussion on Food & Agriculture, 15 January, will include Dr Colin Chartres, former Director General, International Water Management Institute; David Farley, CEO, Australian Agricultural Company; Brett Rierson, China Representative, United Nations World Food Programme; and Ismael Roig, President, Asia-Pacific, Archer Daniels Midland Company.
Watch the HKTDC interview of Fan Shenggen here: http://youtu.be/uoxIhZ2q2ys
AFF Website: http://www.asianfinancialforum.com
Follow us on Twitter: @AFF_HK
A statutory body established in 1966, the Hong Kong Trade Development Council (HKTDC) is the international marketing arm for Hong Kong-based traders, manufacturers and service providers. With more than 40 global offices, including 11 on the Chinese mainland, the HKTDC promotes Hong Kong as a platform for doing business with China and throughout Asia. The HKTDC also organises trade fairs and business missions to connect companies with opportunities in Hong Kong and on the mainland, while providing information via trade publications, research reports and online. For more information, please visit: www.hktdc.com . Follow us on Google+, Twitter @hktdc, LinkedIn.
HKTDC Corporate Communication Department Joe Kainz Tel: +852 2584 4216 Email: email@example.com
Copyright 2013 ACN Newswire. All rights reserved.
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher
- Will the Mac OS Now Be Offered by Dell?
- UK Targeted for Trojan Attacks
- MAX 2006: Tracks Announced
- BT's "Fixed-Mobile" Phone Gives Callers the Best of Both Worlds
- MetaSolv to Host Provisioning Symposium in London