|By Marketwired .||
|January 6, 2013 02:00 PM EST||
TORONTO, ONTARIO -- (Marketwire) -- 01/06/13 -- Canada's housing market has undergone a major shift since the beginning of last year. Sales are down in some of Canada's major markets - Toronto and Vancouver are off double digits compared to a year ago, while even Calgary has simmered down after a year that saw a double-digit rise in sales.
Stricter mortgage lending guidelines, including a reduced maximum amortization period and a purchase price ceiling of $1 million dollars for government insured mortgages, have prompted some potential buyers to move to the sidelines.
Meanwhile, real estate prices - with the exception of some areas in Vancouver - are holding steady, supported by low interest rates. Since 2000, the price of houses across Canada has more than doubled on average.
Experts from BMO, RE/MAX and the Canadian Home Builders' Association will participate in a conference call to discuss the real estate environment in Canada, and what prospective buyers and sellers need to keep in mind. Panellists will discuss the following topics:
-- What is in store for the Canadian housing market over the coming year? -- What is different from last year for Canadian homeowners looking to buy or sell their home? -- What key trends are emerging in Canadian real estate, including in Toronto's high-end property market? -- The financial ins-and-outs of purchasing a home, including the importance of home inspections and pre-approvals. What: BMO, RE/MAX, the Canadian Home Builders' Association discuss the Canadian Housing Market Who: Sal Guatieri, Senior Economist, BMO Capital Markets Conrad Zurini, Broker of Record, RE/MAX Escarpment Reality Inc. John Turner, National Director, Specialized Lending, BMO Bank of Montreal Charron Ungar, President Canadian Home Builders' Association - Calgary Region When: Tuesday, January 8, 2013; 11:00 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. ET
Media Dial-in: 416-641-2144 / 1-866-696-5910
Participant Passcode: 8636439
Passcode: To confirm your attendance of if you have any questions, please contact BMO Media Relations at (416) 867-3996.
About BMO Financial Group
Established in 1817 as Bank of Montreal, BMO Financial Group is a highly diversified North American financial services organization. With total assets of $525 billion as at October 31, 2012, and more than 46,000 employees, BMO Financial Group provides a broad range of retail banking, wealth management and investment banking products and solutions.
BMO Media Relations
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher
- Will the Mac OS Now Be Offered by Dell?
- UK Targeted for Trojan Attacks