|By PR Newswire||
|January 5, 2013 12:01 AM EST||
WASHINGTON, Jan. 5, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Following is the daily "Profile America" feature from the U.S. Census Bureau:
SATURDAY, JANUARY 5: MINIMUM WAGE
Profile America — Saturday, January 5th. The business world was startled on this date in 1914, when Henry Ford announced that he would pay his workers a minimum wage of $5 a day, which is about $116 today. The idea eventually gained general acceptance, and in 1938, President Franklin D. Roosevelt signed into law a federally mandated minimum wage of 25 cents an hour. Currently, the hourly minimum wage is $7.25. There are nearly 74 million hourly workers in the U.S., 3.8 million of them paid at or below the minimum wage. Households in the bottom 20 percent of income earn no more than $20,262 per year. You can find more facts about America from the U.S. Census Bureau, online at www.census.gov.
Sources: U.S. Census Bureau, Households
Bureau of Labor Statistics
Profile America is produced by the Center for New Media and Promotions of the U.S. Census Bureau. These daily features are available as produced segments, ready to air, on a monthly CD or on the Internet at http://www.census.gov (look for "Multimedia Gallery" by the "Newsroom" button).
SOURCE U.S. Census Bureau
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- Will the Mac OS Now Be Offered by Dell?
- UK Targeted for Trojan Attacks