|By PR Newswire||
|January 4, 2013 03:51 PM EST||
LAS VEGAS, Jan. 4, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Representing Visteon Corporation's (NYSE:VC) vision of mobility in the year 2020, the e-Bee vehicle concept is designed to explore new and alternative ways of using a vehicle, including car-sharing, private ownership and short-term rental. Using touch display-based controls and Cloud-centered profile storage, the e-Bee's features are designed to be immediately familiar and intuitive for each individual user.
Fully compatible with electric vehicle and hybrid platforms, the e-Bee demonstrates intelligent mobility – gathering and disseminating useful driving-related data, acting as part of a wider mobility-enabling network and integrating technology and design that is simple, flexible and frugal.
The technologies featured in the e-Bee concept range from advanced development to application- and commercialization-ready. The vehicle will be available to customers and media members at the Visteon booth (CP#20) in the Central Plaza during CES.
The e-Bee challenges conventional vehicle architecture by rethinking the position of the climate system, resulting in reduced weight and a substantially increased cabin space. The integrated climate module combines the heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) unit with the refrigerant system, including an energy-efficient heat pump. Its position outside the cabin allows for new interior design options including an easy user experience with the vehicle's electronics and comfort features, designed to mitigate distraction.
"From its driver interface to its compact and innovative climate system, the e-Bee is an exercise in efficient, forward-looking design for new mobility uses," said Tim Yerdon, Visteon's global director of innovation. "This is just the second leg of a world tour where we're showcasing the vehicle at customer and industry events. The e-Bee will be the centerpiece in Visteon's discussions with customers and partners about future technology trends and needs."
Defined User Experience
The e-Bee's driver interface consists of a set of three displays: a main display for journey information and two smaller screens with touch-sensing capability. The touch screens are located within easy fingertip distance on either side of the steering wheel, providing simple and immediate interaction with both vehicle controls and social connections. The car also features a projected head-down display for accessing basic driving information. In place of the traditional rear-view mirror, a display shows images from a panamorphic 180-degree rear-view camera.
Complete and Immediate Personalization
Designed to address the needs of each individual user, the e-Bee offers personalization on three levels:
- By region: Using a global base interior structure, the control architecture can be customized for each region. This allows for unique regional preferences regarding display types, storage options and perceived quality tastes.
- By individual owner: An ideal environment can be created by adding a range of 'physical apps' – or clip-on modules – each providing a style element and a particular function. These can include cup holders, wireless charging devices, cameras and other items.
- By individual user: A set of preferences for each user can be stored in the Cloud and retrieved when the driver enters the car. These preferences are used to define the look, colors and layout of the display-based human-machine interaction (HMI), ensuring that e-Bee's interface will always be immediately intuitive and familiar for users who alternate between cars.
Improved Passenger "Life on Board"
Each occupant has access to a door-mounted control module, allowing for control of the climate system and individual climate zones, as well as a personal headrest-mounted audio system. Audio content can be played from a Bluetooth® wireless technology-enabled personal device set in its own wireless charging bay in the door.
Compatible with electric and hybrid vehicles, the HVAC system is focused on 'smart energy' management and a positive user experience. Features of the system include an electric compressor, pre-conditioning and a cooled shopping box in the trunk. For user comfort, there is a gentle air diffusion feature, a cluster ion generator and a fragrance auto diffusion system.
With driver priorities in mind, the cockpit space is maximized for occupants – the result of fundamentally re-thinking the technical elements of the interior. The EV-ready HVAC system is located in the engine compartment; the airbags are positioned in the headliner; and the driver displays and controls are supported locally by a structure of composite material, rather than a full-steel cross-car beam.
The e-Bee's interior is designed for sustainability. It incorporates recycled and bio-based resin and natural fiber hybrid materials and also uses recyclable expanded polypropylene material to reduce vehicle weight.
Additionally, the car has digital decoration (laser etching) on hard parts, in-mold decoration for the touch screens and thin film overmolding, and demonstrates Visteon's InSkin process – all of which provide differentiation without re-tooling parts.
High-resolution images and videos are available at www.visteon.com/media/multimedia.
Visteon is a leading global automotive supplier that designs, engineers and manufactures innovative climate, electronics and interior products for vehicle manufacturers. With corporate offices in Van Buren Township, Mich. (U.S.); Shanghai, China; and Chelmsford, UK; the company has facilities in 28 countries and employs approximately 22,000 people. Learn more at www.visteon.com.
Follow us on Twitter @VisteonCorp (www.twitter.com/visteoncorp), subscribe to our
YouTube channel at www.youtube.com/visteon and read blog posts at blog.visteon.com. For more information on the e-Bee, view http://e-bee.visteon.com.
SOURCE Visteon Corporation
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher