|By PR Newswire||
|January 4, 2013 10:42 AM EST||
WASHINGTON, Jan. 4, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The following statement is from Marie Lopez Rogers, president of the National League of Cities and mayor of Avondale, AZ in response to today's unemployment report:
"Today's unemployment numbers, while showing positive growth, still show the economy is in a precarious position that demands continued support.
"This week's fiscal cliff deal did little to address the harm the automatic spending cuts will have on the economic recovery we are only now beginning to see in our communities, but only postponed it for two months. Combined with a need to raise the debt ceiling, the nation could see itself facing into the abyss of more economic uncertainty and another recession. It is imperative that our nation's leaders find a balanced approach to addressing the nation's long-term fiscal challenges while preserving investments in our communities.
"We remain concerned that the programs cities utilize to support infrastructure, help train the nation's workforce and provide housing are all still in consideration to be cut. These are primary tools used to drive economic growth in cities and must be preserved. We must not solve our nation's budget issues on the backs of people in our cities."
The National League of Cities is dedicated to helping city leaders build better communities. NLC is a resource and advocate for 19,000 cities, towns and villages, representing more than 218 million Americans.
SOURCE National League of Cities
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- Will the Mac OS Now Be Offered by Dell?
- UK Targeted for Trojan Attacks