|By PR Newswire||
|January 4, 2013 12:01 AM EST||
WASHINGTON, Jan. 4, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Following is the daily "Profile America" feature from the U.S. Census Bureau:
FRIDAY, JANUARY 4: FIRST STATE OF THE UNION
Profile America — Friday, January 4th. This week in 1790, President George Washington addressed a joint session of Congress to deliver the first State of the Union report, as called for the in the still young Constitution. The requirement didn't demand a speech, and after delivering just one, President Thomas Jefferson began reporting in writing, feeling a speech was too magisterial. The spoken presentation was revived by Woodrow Wilson. Washington's address has echoes to this day, as he stated "the terms on which foreigners may be admitted to the rights of citizens, should be speedily ascertained by a uniform rule of naturalization." The first U.S. census, taken just months later, counted a population of just over 3.9 million residents. You can find more facts about America from the U.S. Census Bureau, online at www.census.gov.
Sources: U.S. Census Bureau, History, Through the Decades
Profile America is produced by the Center for New Media and Promotions of the U.S. Census Bureau. These daily features are available as produced segments, ready to air, on a monthly CD or on the Internet at http://www.census.gov (look for "Multimedia Gallery" by the "Newsroom" button).
SOURCE U.S. Census Bureau
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher