|By PR Newswire||
|January 3, 2013 06:26 PM EST||
NEW YORK, Jan. 3, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- On a historic day for the nation and the Girl Scouts of the USA, five new women were inaugurated into the United States Senate today, bringing the total number of female senators to 20, the largest proportion in history. Of the 20 women now serving in the Senate, 14, or 70 percent, are Girl Scout alumnae. In response, the Chief Executive Officer of the Girl Scouts of the USA, Anna Maria Chavez, today released the following statement:
"For 100 years, Girl Scouts has been at the forefront of creating positive social change for girls, developing young women of courage and character who are today advancing into leadership roles in our society. Through Girl Scouting these women learned that there was nothing they couldn't accomplish through hard work, commitment and dedication. Today, 14 of our alumnae have entered one of the most powerful legislative bodies in the world, clearly demonstrating that the core principles on which Girl Scouting was founded are alive and well in the 21st Century. We are seeing the impact that Girl Scouting can have in the life of a young woman. I am so proud of our alumnae today, and look forward to the great things they will accomplish as national leaders and role models in the United States Senate."
About Girl Scouts of the USA
Founded in 1912, Girl Scouts of the USA is the preeminent leadership development organization for girls, with 3.2 million girl and adult members worldwide. Girl Scouts is the leading authority on girls' healthy development, and builds girls of courage, confidence, and character, who make the world a better place. The organization serves girls from every corner of the United States and its territories. Girl Scouts of the USA also serves American girls and their classmates attending American or international schools overseas in 90 countries. For more information on how to join, volunteer or reconnect with, or donate to Girl Scouts, call 800-GSUSA-4-U (212-852-8000) or visit www.girlscouts.org.
SOURCE Girl Scouts of the USA
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher
- Will the Mac OS Now Be Offered by Dell?
- UK Targeted for Trojan Attacks