|By Marketwired .||
|January 2, 2013 10:08 AM EST||
OTTAWA, ONTARIO -- (Marketwire) -- 01/02/13 -- Beginning today, Canadian livestock producers will benefit from more export opportunities in the Americas. Agriculture Minister Gerry Ritz and Minister of International Trade and Minister for the Asia-Pacific Gateway Ed Fast announced today that Nicaragua has approved imports of beef and pork from Canada.
"Our government understands that opening new markets to increase exports of our world-class beef and pork creates jobs and economic growth," said Minister Ritz. "Every international market opened means more dollars returning to the farm gate and another great opportunity for our livestock producers."
Effective immediately, Canadian producers can export beef to Nicaragua, with full access now restored after the closure of this market in 2003 due to BSE. And, for the first time ever, market access conditions have now been established for Canadian pork.
"We applaud the Government of Nicaragua's science-based decision to reopen its market to Canadian beef and pork," said Minister Fast. "Opening new markets and creating new opportunities that benefit Canadian businesses and workers are at the core of our government's broad and ambitious pro-trade plan."
Access to the Nicaraguan market flows from the Government's trade expansion goals in Central America and is the result of its ongoing efforts to create new opportunities and science-based trade for Canadian producers, as well as growing prosperity in the Americas.
In 2011, Nicaragua imports of beef and pork were $1.6 million and more than $17 million respectively - a significant market now open to our high-quality Canadian beef and pork products.
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada
The Office of the Honourable Gerry Ritz
Rudy Husny, Press Secretary
The Office of the Honourable Ed Fast
Minister of International Trade and
Minister for the Asia-Pacific Gateway
Trade Media Relations Office
Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada
Follow us on Twitter: @Canada_Trade
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher
- Will the Mac OS Now Be Offered by Dell?
- UK Targeted for Trojan Attacks