|By PR Newswire||
|December 31, 2012 06:13 PM EST||
OKLAHOMA CITY, Dec. 31, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Oklahoma Insurance Commissioner John D. Doak has praised the decision by a federal appeals court to temporarily bar the U.S. government from requiring an Illinois company to obtain insurance coverage for contraceptives. The owners, Cyril and Jane Korte, fought the Obamacare mandate because it violates their religious faith. Doak has been a fierce opponent of the contraception mandate since Obamacare became law.
"Religious freedom is a basic constitutional right granted by our founding fathers and paid for by the sacrifice of millions of veterans for all the citizens of the United States to enjoy and currently that right is being eroded," Doak said. "Where does it stop? If we do not stand up and protect religious liberties in healthcare now, then when?"
Doak has also pledged to personally support Oklahoma City-based Hobby Lobby, owned by the David Green family, in its decision to defy the emergency contraception mandate. Both Hobby Lobby and Mardel stores could be fined as much as $1.3 million a day starting tomorrow.
"I am not opposed to contraception. I am for religious freedom and capitalism, both of which are under daily attacks by big government," said Doak. "Let every American and Oklahoman have the ability to pursue freedom and happiness without total government control. If a potential employee does not like the benefits offered by an employer, let them seek another opportunity or purchase needed coverage in the private market. These federal mandates created by overzealous regulators are killing what has made our country great. Using their core values, the Green family runs a successful business that creates jobs. They believe God built and blessed their business for staying true to biblical principles. Those beliefs deserve respect. President Obama doesn't understand that because he's never built a company."
Doak is asking for people of faith to pray for both state and federal lawmakers as they head back to work in 2013.
About the Oklahoma Insurance Department
The Oklahoma Insurance Department, an agency of the State of Oklahoma, is responsible for the education and protection of the insurance-buying public and for oversight of the insurance industry in the state.
For more information contact:
SOURCE Oklahoma Insurance Department
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher
- Will the Mac OS Now Be Offered by Dell?
- UK Targeted for Trojan Attacks