|By PR Newswire||
|December 31, 2012 10:01 AM EST||
MARINA DEL REY, Calif., Dec. 31, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Prostate Oncology Specialists is pleased to announce that Jeffrey Turner, MD has joined the prostate cancer specialist team. Dr. Turner is a board-certified internist and medical oncologist and will be specializing exclusively in prostate cancer with Mark Scholz and Richard Lam. Dr. Turner has been specializing in prostate cancer since 2009. He graduated cum laude from USC. Thereafter, he worked in research at UCLA studying infectious disease and molecular biology. He earned his medical degree in Canada at Memorial University of Newfoundland and completed his internal medicine residency at the University of British Columbia and fellowship in medical oncology at the Medical University of South Carolina. Dr. Turner has published several articles on urologic cancers with an emphasis on prostate cancer. He is a sub-investigator of a number of ongoing prostate cancer clinical trials.
Dr. Mark Scholz, Medical Director of Prostate Oncology Specialists commented, "Dr. Turner joins us during a time when the number of new prostate cancer treatments is exploding. He will add his expertise and knowledge to help patients make informed decisions. In 2012, we conducted clinical trials with Zytiga and Xtandi, agents that are now FDA approved. We are presently evaluating new agents such as Curstersin, XL-184 and Ipilimumab in combination with Provenge. We are happy to welcome a talented new member to the team who is familiar with all the many new treatment options for patients—this also includes Active Surveillance which is rapidly gaining acceptance as a viable treatment for prostate cancer."
Active Surveillance remains very popular given the alternative risk of permanent side-effects from surgery, radiation, or cryotherapy. Dr. Turner added, "With the dramatic evolution of today's imaging techniques (including color Doppler ultrasound and MRI), Active Surveillance is best for men with Gleason 6, PSA<10, and clinical stage less than or equal to T2a. Due to the fact that men with Gleason 6 prostate cancer have an incredibly low risk of mortality, Active Surveillance should remain a strong alternative."
As skilled leaders in treating prostate cancer, our medical oncologists use PSA monitoring and color Doppler scanning to accurately monitor men on Active Surveillance. These techniques can detect early disease progression in men who may need to pursue treatment intervention.
About Prostate Oncology Specialists, Inc.
We are medical oncologists, internists specifically trained to diagnose and treat all types of cancer. Since 1995, we have restricted ourselves to treating prostate cancer. Strangely, even though millions are living with prostate cancer, less than a hundred medical oncologists actually specialize in treating it. Almost all these specialists are located at academic centers focusing on research. In the whole country, we are one of only a couple private centers devoted exclusively to treating prostate cancer.
SOURCE Prostate Oncology Specialists, Inc.
- "All It Took Was One E-Mail to Larry," Says Former eBay Research Director As He Moves to Google
- Google Ramps Up Its Mobile Reach: Launches "Mobile Web Search"
- VoIP Update: Yahoo! Buys DialPad
- Ericsson + Napster = World's First "Wireless Digital Music" Brand
- Free Guest Passes for the SOA World Conference & Expo in NYC
- SYS-CON i-Technology Podcast August 30, 2005
- A Flair for Food - Health-Conscious Cooking Is This Chef's Cup Of Tea
- Sony PSP May Feature Porn
- Kapow Helps Seiko UK, Provides SMS Text-Alert Services
- South Korea is World's Largest Phisher
- Will the Mac OS Now Be Offered by Dell?
- UK Targeted for Trojan Attacks
- MAX 2006: Tracks Announced
- BT's "Fixed-Mobile" Phone Gives Callers the Best of Both Worlds
- MetaSolv to Host Provisioning Symposium in London